Norwegian forward Ada Hegerberg extends contract with European champions Lyon

The club said the 25-year-old Norwegian forward signed a three-year deal through June 2024. Seeing out the contract would complete a decade for Hegerberg at the dominant women’s team in world football.

The Associated Press December 18, 2020 18:34:15 IST
Norwegian forward Ada Hegerberg extends contract with European champions Lyon

File image of Ada Hegerberg. Reuters

Lyon: Former Ballon d’Or winner Ada Hegerberg extended her contract with European champions Lyon on Friday.

The club said the 25-year-old Norwegian forward signed a three-year deal through June 2024. Seeing out the contract would complete a decade for Hegerberg at the dominant women’s team in world football.

Hegerberg has scored 220 goals in 184 games for Lyon, who have won five Champions League titles, six French leagues and four French Cups since she joined the club.

“Ada is a big personality and we count on her a lot to lead the team,” said Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas, describing her as the world’s best female player.

Hegerberg has been sidelined for most of 2020 because of a serious injury to her right knee in January.

She won the inaugural women's Ballon d'Or prize presented by France Football magazine two years ago.

Updated Date:

also read

Serie A: Juventus captain Giorgio Chiellini tests positive for COVID-19
Sports

Serie A: Juventus captain Giorgio Chiellini tests positive for COVID-19

The defender had been in isolation at home after coming into contact with a positive case during the week, according to news reports, before being tested on Saturday.

Karim Benzema crowns national team comeback with France Football's Player of the Year prize
Sports

Karim Benzema crowns national team comeback with France Football's Player of the Year prize

Benzema edged two previous winners, Kylian Mbappe and N'Golo Kante, in the France Football poll announced on Friday

Copa del Rey: Real Betis vs Sevilla abandoned after player hit by object thrown from crowd
Sports

Copa del Rey: Real Betis vs Sevilla abandoned after player hit by object thrown from crowd

After a stoppage of around 45 minutes at the Benito Villamarin, the Spanish federation (RFEF) confirmed the last-16 game had been abandoned, with the score at 1-1.