No major financial impact on British tennis due to cancellation of Wimbledon, says All England club boss Richard Lewis

The US Open is going ahead as scheduled from the end of August while the French Open has moved to the end of September from May and Sally Bolton, who will succeed Lewis, said the AELTC would learn all they can from the tournaments.

Reuters June 29, 2020 15:44:29 IST
No major financial impact on British tennis due to cancellation of Wimbledon, says All England club boss Richard Lewis

Wimbledon’s cancellation due to the COVID-19 pandemic this year will have no major financial impact on British tennis, outgoing All England club Chief Executive Richard Lewis has said.

The grasscourt Grand Slam was scheduled to start on Monday but was cancelled for the first time since World War 2 in April.

No major financial impact on British tennis due to cancellation of Wimbledon says All England club boss Richard Lewis

A view of the empty Centre Court at the All England Lawn Tennis Club in Wimbledon, London. (Bob Martin/AELTC via AP)

The All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC) said its spending plans would not have to be curtailed.

“It won’t be severely impacted. If you have to cancel, it’s great to have insurance,” Lewis, who will step down as the CEO next month, told British media.

“We’re still in a very good position, we’re financially very stable. British tennis is going to be pretty well protected.”

However, Wimbledon would not have similar insurance cover in place next year, he added.

“That’s impossible in the current climate,” he said. “When I started in 2012, there were some signs that things were not insurable, because of communicable diseases that had taken place, like Sars and swine flu.

“In the immediate aftermath you can’t get insurance but fairly soon after that you can start to get insurance again, the market returns. So there won’t be insurance next year.

“But just because we’ve made one claim, it won’t affect us in the long term.”

The US Open is going ahead as scheduled from the end of August while the French Open has moved to the end of September from May and Sally Bolton, who will succeed Lewis, said the AELTC would learn all they can from the tournaments.

“We’ve got the US Open and Roland Garros being staged later this year and we will be looking closely at what they do, working with the constraints they find themselves under and learning what we can,” said Bolton.

Updated Date:

also read

Nick Kyrgios due in Australian court on assault charge
Tennis

Nick Kyrgios due in Australian court on assault charge

The charge surfaced in July last year, when police said a 27-year-old man -- later confirmed to be Kyrgios -- had been summoned to court "following an incident in December 2021".

Nick Kyrgios avoids conviction after admitting to assaulting ex-girlfriend
Tennis

Nick Kyrgios avoids conviction after admitting to assaulting ex-girlfriend

Nick Kyrgios admitted to pushing his former girlfriend onto a pavement after a fight in January 2021.

Davis Cup takes first step into uncertain future after ITF, Kosmos split
Tennis

Davis Cup takes first step into uncertain future after ITF, Kosmos split

The original contract with Kosmos, which is yet to pay players prize money for last year's Davis Cup, was worth $3 billion.