Nick Kyrgios says United States Tennis Association is being 'selfish' by going ahead with US Open

Kyrgios, who has been in lockdown in Australia since the pandemic brought a halt to the ATP Tour, appeared more concerned about having to undergo 14 days of self-isolation upon his return home from Flushing Meadows.

Reuters June 16, 2020 13:47:35 IST
Nick Kyrgios says United States Tennis Association is being 'selfish' by going ahead with US Open

Sydney: Australian Nick Kyrgios says the United States Tennis Association is being “selfish” by pressing ahead with the US Open on its original dates from 31 August to 13 September.

Multiple media reports on Monday said the USTA would confirm the Grand Slam tournament would go ahead without fans despite New York City still recording hundreds of new COVID-19 cases every day.

Novak Djokovic, Ash Barty and Simona Halep have all indicated they would have concerns about playing the tournament under the health protocols designed to keep them safe.

Kyrgios, who has been in lockdown in Australia since the pandemic brought a halt to the ATP Tour, appeared more concerned about having to undergo 14 days of self-isolation upon his return home from Flushing Meadows.

“People that live in the US of course are pushing (for) the Open to go ahead ‘Selfish’,” the world number 40 posted on Twitter.

“I’ll get my hazmat suit ready for when I travel from Australia and then have to quarantine for two weeks on my return.”

Kyrgios also slammed the ATP Tour as selfish earlier this month for pressing ahead with plans to play the U.S. Open while the virus had not been contained and with the streets of US cities filled with protests at the death of George Floyd.

The 25-year-old also tweeted Djokovic, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal last week to ask them if they felt the tournament should go ahead. He received no public replies from any of the multiple Grand Slam winners.

Despite the health concerns, American player Danielle Collins has called on the event to go ahead to give players the chance to earn money again and criticised Djokovic for his opposition to the protocols proposed by organisers.

“It’s easy when someone’s made $150 million throughout their career to try and tell people what to do with their money, and then turn down playing in the US Open,” she posted on social media last week.

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Italian Open 2020: Nadal makes winning return after over six-month layoff; Azarenka beats Venus in first round
Sports

Italian Open 2020: Nadal makes winning return after over six-month layoff; Azarenka beats Venus in first round

Defending champion Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic made winning returns at the Italian Open on Wednesday with the top two men's seeds easing into the third round of the clay-court tournament in Rome.

Italian Open 2020: Simona Halep reaches Rome semi-finals after Yulia Putintseva retires
Sports

Italian Open 2020: Simona Halep reaches Rome semi-finals after Yulia Putintseva retires

Halep was ahead 6-2, 2-0 when Putintseva decided she was in too much pain to continue - having already taken an off-court medical timeout between sets.

Italian Open 2020 semi-finals and finals to have up to 1,000 spectators in attendance
Sports

Italian Open 2020 semi-finals and finals to have up to 1,000 spectators in attendance

The Italian Open tournament, which features nine-time champion Rafael Nadal and top-ranked Novak Djokovic, has so far been played without fans because of the coronavirus pandemic.