Nick Kyrgios insists he'll be on his 'best behaviour' for next six months in probationary period

Kyrgios was hit with a suspended 16-week ban on Thursday which can be lifted after a six-month probationary period provided he meets certain strict criteria.

Agence France-Presse September 27, 2019 08:53:31 IST
Nick Kyrgios insists he'll be on his 'best behaviour' for next six months in probationary period
  • Nick Kyrgios insisted he'll be on his 'best behaviour' for the next six months after being put on probation by the ATP following a series of recent on-court outbursts.

  • The temperamental Australian was hit with a suspended 16-week ban which can be lifted after a six-month probationary period provided he meets certain strict criteria.

  • "Guess I'm on my best behaviour for 6 months," he told his 1.2 million Instagram followers, while adding the hashtag #detention.

Sydney: Combustible tennis star Nick Kyrgios on Friday insisted he'll be on his "best behaviour" for the next six months after being put on probation by the ATP following a series of recent on-court outbursts.

The temperamental Australian was hit with a suspended 16-week ban on Thursday which can be lifted after a six-month probationary period provided he meets certain strict criteria.

Nick Kyrgios insists hell be on his best behaviour for next six months in probationary period

File image of Nick Kyrgios. AFP

It includes seeking support from a specialist in behavioural management during the off-season.

"Guess I'm on my best behaviour for 6 months," he told his 1.2 million Instagram followers, while adding the hashtag #detention.

In response to one user saying he should have been banned for life, the Australian replied: "Well no not really. I'm chilling, relaxing. I'll speak when I want."

The ATP opened a probe into Kyrgios following an explosive meltdown at last month's Cincinnati Masters which saw him smash two racquets, launch an abusive tirade at the chair umpire before appearing to spit at the official during a second-round match.

He was fined $ 113,000 for ball abuse, leaving the court without permission, an audible obscenity and unsportsmanlike conduct during his loss to Russia's Karen Khachanov.

Kyrgios, 24, has five days to appeal the suspended ban, but has yet to indicate whether he will or not.

While he was penalised for the Cincinnati outbursts, he avoided further punishment for calling the ATP "pretty corrupt" during the US Open after he "clarified" his comment.

Kyrgios, who boasts a long list of misdemeanours, was scheduled to play the China Open next week but pulled out on Thursday, citing a collarbone injury.

"I'll be heading back to Australia to rest and recover. See you all soon," said the 27th-ranked firebrand after his first-round exit at the Zhuhai Championships.

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Delray Beach Open: World No 789 Christian Harrison advances to semi-finals; Sebastian Korda beats John Isner to progress
Sports

Delray Beach Open: World No 789 Christian Harrison advances to semi-finals; Sebastian Korda beats John Isner to progress

Christian Harrison's fairytale run continued with a 7-6 (7/2), 6-4 quarter-final victory over Italian Gianluca Mager.

Delray Beach Open: Hubert Hurkacz wins second title, beating Sebastian Korda in final
Sports

Delray Beach Open: Hubert Hurkacz wins second title, beating Sebastian Korda in final

Hurkacz's only other title was in 2019 at Winston-Salem, where he became the second Polish tour-level champion in the Open era.