New Zealand ATP, WTA tournaments in January cancelled by coronavirus pandemic

ASB Classic tournament director Karl Budge announced the decision Tuesday, saying work on hosting the tennis tournaments had been well advanced but logistical and safety issues had taken precedence.

The Associated Press October 06, 2020 12:39:43 IST
New Zealand ATP, WTA tournaments in January cancelled by coronavirus pandemic

Caroline Wozniacki and Serena Williams teamed up at the ASB Classic in Auckland earlier this year. AP

Wellington: The ATP and WTA tournaments set for Auckland in January have been cancelled because of uncertainty caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

ASB Classic tournament director Karl Budge announced the decision Tuesday, saying work on hosting the tennis tournaments had been well advanced but logistical and safety issues had taken precedence.

Serena Williams is the defending champion in the women's event and Ugo Humbert of France is the reigning men's champion.

"We are obviously incredibly sad to share this news but safety has to be our priority," Budge said. "I'd like to thank the incredible dedication from the Classic team, volunteers and our sponsors who have strived tirelessly to make an event happen this summer."

Dates for the tournament had not been confirmed but the Auckland events are usually among the first on the ATP and WTA calendars each season.

Any players travelling to New Zealand in January likely would have had to quarantine for two weeks on arrival. New Zealand's borders currently are closed to all but citizens and permanent residents, except in rare circumstances where exemptions are granted.

The New Zealand tournaments are usually staged in the weeks leading up to the Australian Open, the season-opening Grand Slam event in Melbourne.

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Dustin Johnson still 'low on energy', pulls out of second straight golf tournament after testing COVID-19 positive
Sports

Dustin Johnson still 'low on energy', pulls out of second straight golf tournament after testing COVID-19 positive

Dustin Johnson, 36, is recovering after experiencing some Covid-19 symptoms but is still not well enough to resume playing competitive golf, his agent David Winkle said.

PGA Tour to allow limited number of fans at a premium fee at Houston Open next month
Sports

PGA Tour to allow limited number of fans at a premium fee at Houston Open next month

The Tour and event organisers said they have been working with Texas health officials to come up with a plan to allow 2,000 fans a day to Memorial Park Golf Course.

Golf's Australian Open cancelled for first time in 75 years; women's Open and PGA Championship also dropped
Sports

Golf's Australian Open cancelled for first time in 75 years; women's Open and PGA Championship also dropped

Australia has closed its international borders to most travellers as part of its effort to suppress the coronavirus pandemic, and even people moving between some of the country's different states and regions can be subject to a mandatory two-week quarantine.