Monte Carlo Masters: Novak Djokovic shrugs off shock defeat to Daniil Medvedev, says aim is to peak at French Open

Novak Djokovic shrugged off his shock Monte Carlo Masters exit, insisting he has plenty of time to whip his game into shape ahead of the French Open.

Agence France-Presse April 19, 2019 22:54:43 IST
Monte Carlo Masters: Novak Djokovic shrugs off shock defeat to Daniil Medvedev, says aim is to peak at French Open
  • Novak Djokovic shrugged off his shock Monte Carlo Masters exit, insisting he has plenty of time to whip his game into shape ahead of the French Open.

  • The defeat also meant that the 15-time major winner has not made a semi-final since claiming a record seventh Australian Open title in January.

Monaco: Novak Djokovic shrugged off his shock Monte Carlo Masters exit on Friday, insisting he has plenty of time to whip his game into shape ahead of his assault on the French Open.

The World No 1 slumped to a 6-3, 4-6, 6-2 defeat to Russia's Daniil Medvedev in the quarter-finals of a Masters event he has won on two occasions.

Monte Carlo Masters Novak Djokovic shrugs off shock defeat to Daniil Medvedev says aim is to peak at French Open

Novak Djokovic slumped to a shock defeat to Daniil Medvedev. AP/Claude Paris

The defeat also meant that the 15-time major winner has not made a semi-final since claiming a record seventh Australian Open title in January.

"The French Open is the ultimate goal on clay. It's expected in a way for me to peak right at that tournament because that's what I'm aiming for," said Djokovic, who has swept the last three Grand Slams.

"This is only the first tournament on clay, and it's a long season. Let's see how it goes.

"Maybe I'm lacking the consistency with the top results in the last couple of years in the best tournaments.

"But I've been playing my best at Grand Slams and that's what I intend to do."

Djokovic, the 2013 and 2015 champion in Monte Carlo, praised 10th-seeded Medvedev who now has a tour-leading 21 wins in 2019, three more than even Roger Federer.

"I was up all three service games that I lost in the third set. I had game point but just some loose points on drop shots and double faults," said the 31-year-old.

"It's the first tournament of the season on clay, and a lot of maybe lower-ranked guys, they play maybe one tournament before. That can be one of the reasons (for the loss)."

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Venus Williams to join sister Serena at inaugural Top Seed Open in Kentucky
Sports

Venus Williams to join sister Serena at inaugural Top Seed Open in Kentucky

The event’s organisers said last week Serena would return to the court for the first time since the novel coronavirus shutdown when she competes at the tournament, which begins on 10 August

WTA Tour still hopeful of hosting events in China despite country's restrictions on sporting events
Sports

WTA Tour still hopeful of hosting events in China despite country's restrictions on sporting events

Brenda Perry, the co-director of Wuhan Open, told Reuters that the WTA was in touch with the GAS and the Chinese Tennis Association and it was now a “waiting game”.

United States Tennis Association says US Open preparations still on despite spike in COVID-19 cases
Sports

United States Tennis Association says US Open preparations still on despite spike in COVID-19 cases

The US Open — usually the year’s last Grand Slam tournament, but the second of 2020 because of the pandemic — is scheduled to run 31 August to 13 September.