Monaco planning on holding three motor races in span of five weeks in 2021 following postponement of F1 Grand Prix

The Automobile Club de Monaco (ACM) said on Tuesday the biennial Historic Grand Prix would be held on 25 April, 2021, with an all-electric Formula E eprix on 8 May and then the return of Formula One on 23 May.

Reuters May 19, 2020 23:50:38 IST
Monaco planning on holding three motor races in span of five weeks in 2021 following postponement of F1 Grand Prix

Monaco plans to hold three motor races in the space of five weeks in 2021 after the principality had to cancel this weekend’s showcase Formula One grand prix due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Monaco planning on holding three motor races in span of five weeks in 2021 following postponement of F1 Grand Prix

Representational photo. Image credit: Twitter/@FIAFormulaE

The Automobile Club de Monaco (ACM) said on Tuesday the biennial Historic Grand Prix would be held on 25 April, 2021, with an all-electric Formula E eprix on 8 May and then the return of Formula One on 23 May.

“To organise three races in the space of one month will be a big first for us all at ACM,” said the club’s general commissioner Christian Tornatore.

“The logistical side promises to be complex, but not impossible to manage.”

He said work on setting up the metal-fenced street circuit would need to begin at the end of February, several weeks earlier than usual.

Monaco cancelled this year’s F1 race, a home grand prix for Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc, in March after the Australian season-opener in Melbourne was also scrapped due to the coronavirus crisis.

The Mediterranean harbourside race featured on the first world championship calendar in 1950 and had been held without fail since 1955.

Formula One has yet to start the 2020 season, or issue a revised calendar, due to the pandemic and Monaco is the first date pencilled in for 2021.

Updated Date:

also read

Formula 1: McLaren chief executive Zak Brown expects Sebastian Vettel will 'probably end up leaving' F1
Sports

Formula 1: McLaren chief executive Zak Brown expects Sebastian Vettel will 'probably end up leaving' F1

Ferrari said on Tuesday that Vettel, who won all his titles with Red Bull between 2010-13, would be leaving after six years with them.

Formula 1 2020: Racing on slick Turkish GP track was 'terrifying,' says Mercedes star Lewis Hamilton
Sports

Formula 1 2020: Racing on slick Turkish GP track was 'terrifying,' says Mercedes star Lewis Hamilton

Hamilton, who is seeking to seal a record-equalling seventh world title in Sunday's race, said his day's practice had been "a little bit of a disaster" at the Istanbul Park circuit.

Formula 1: Ferrari's Charles Leclerc self-isolating after testing positive for COVID-19
Sports

Formula 1: Ferrari's Charles Leclerc self-isolating after testing positive for COVID-19

Leclerc, 23, added that he had "mild symptoms" and was isolating at his home in his native Monaco.