Mexican, Brazilian media outlets bribed FIFA for 2026/2030 World Cup rights, testifies witness in corruption trial
A prosecution witness testified that Mexico’s Grupo Televisa (TLVACPO.MX) and Brazil’s Globo took part in a $15 million bribe to a FIFA executive to secure media rights.
New York: A prosecution witness in the corruption trial of three former football officials testified on Wednesday that Mexico’s Grupo Televisa (TLVACPO.MX) and Brazil’s Globo took part in a $15 million bribe to a FIFA executive to secure media rights to the 2026 and 2030 World Cup tournaments.
Alejandro Burzaco, the former head of sports marketing company Torneos y Competencias, testified for a second day in a US court, adding details to Tuesday’s testimony that Televisa, Globo and Fox Sports had been involved in bribery.
In the first trial to be heard in a US investigation of bribery surrounding FIFA, football’s world governing body, Burzaco told jurors in federal court in Brooklyn on Wednesday that Torneos, Televisa and Globo paid the bribe to Julio Humberto Grondona, a FIFA executive who died in 2014.
Burzaco said Torneos and Fox Sports, a unit of Twenty-First Century Fox Inc (FOXA.O), were partners in a sports marketing venture, T&T Sports Marketing Ltd.
Fox Sports spokeswoman Terri Hines said Tuesday that the T&T partnership was with a Fox Sports affiliate, Fox Pan American Sports, that was majority-owned by a private equity firm, and that Fox Sports had “no operational control” over T&T.
“Any suggestion that Fox Sports knew of or approved of any bribes is emphatically false,” she said.
Globo said on Tuesday that it “does not practise nor tolerate the payment of bribes,” and would cooperate with US authorities. It could not immediately be reached for comment on Wednesday.
Televisa declined to comment on Tuesday, and could not immediately be reached Wednesday.
The three media companies have not been charged in the US case.
Jorge Delhon, an Argentine lawyer who formerly worked for the government-run football television program Futbol Para Todos (Football for All), committed suicide late Tuesday, hours after Burzaco testified that he took bribes, Argentine police said.
The three former officials on trial in Brooklyn are Juan Ángel Napout, former president of the South American football governing body CONMEBOL and Paraguay’s football federation; Manuel Burga, former president of Peru’s football federation; and José Maria Marin, former president of Brazil’s football federation.
At the end of his testimony on Wednesday, Burzaco said that his company and its partners paid a total of $4.5 million in bribes to Napout, $2.7 million to Marin and $3.6 million to Burga to secure rights for football tournaments, and they promised millions more to each in future payments.
In opening statements Monday, their lawyers denied that they took bribes.
Much of the racist abuse is sent to players from anonymous accounts. Twitter and Facebook would only provide comments from unnamed spokespeople when asked for interviews to discuss the boycott.
FIFA chief Gianni Infantino cautious about imposing sanctions on Super League clubs, says he prefers 'dialogue to conflict'
Infantino said there were many possible avenues to promote "economic stability" and "competitive balance" in football.
A statement from US Soccer said CONCACAF had opened an investigation into the alleged incident, which occurred at Tuesday's game between the United States and Nicaragua in Guatemala City, won 4-2 by the United States.