Fake bomb sparks evacuation at Manchester United, city's mayor terms it a 'fiasco'

A fake bomb accidentally left behind after a terror training exercise forced police to evacuate Manchester United's stadium and call off their season-ending game against Bournemouth on Sunday in what was slammed as a 'fiasco' by the city's mayor.

AFP May 16, 2016 17:26:04 IST
Fake bomb sparks evacuation at Manchester United, city's mayor terms it a 'fiasco'

Manchester: A fake bomb accidentally left behind after a terror training exercise forced police to evacuate Manchester United's stadium and call off their season-ending game against Bournemouth on Sunday in what was slammed as a "fiasco" by the city's mayor.

Army disposal experts carried out a controlled explosion in Old Trafford stadium toilets of the suspicious device, later revealed as a fake which was left there four days earlier by a private security company.

The stadium scare, which follows deadly attacks in Paris and Belgium over the past year, forced the evacuation of the 75,600-seat 'Theatre of Dreams' and the game's postponement until Tuesday evening.

Fake bomb sparks evacuation at Manchester United citys mayor terms it a fiasco

Event staff guide a British Army Bomb Disposal Unit truck as it leaves Old Trafford stadium. AFP

The deeply embarrassing incident for United and the security firm was compounded by the vast expense and inconvenience suffered by the capacity crowd.

Among the disappointed fans were 3,500 Bournemouth supporters who were left facing a wasted round trip of 500 miles (800 kilometres) from the south coast.

Manchester, one of England's major cities, was also the setting last week for a series of mock terror attacks designed to test the responses of emergency services.

Tony Lloyd, Greater Manchester's mayor and the elected police and crime commissioner for the region, called the incident "outrageous" and called for a full inquiry.

"This fiasco caused massive inconvenience to supporters who had come from far and wide to watch the match, wasted the time of huge numbers of police officers and the army's bomb squad, and unnecessarily put people in danger, as evacuating tens of thousands of people from a football stadium is not without risk," he said in a statement.

"Whilst this in no way demeans the professionalism of the police and stewards responsible for getting the fans out, or the supporters' calmness and cooperation during the evacuation, it is unacceptable that it happened in the first place," he added.

'Code red' alert

Police intially said they had discovered an "incredibly lifelike explosive device", prompting them to issue a "code red" alert 20 minutes before the scheduled 1400 GMT kick-off, with some players already warming up on the pitch.

A club employee found what was described as a mobile phone attached to gas pipes during a routine sweep of the northwest corner of Old Trafford, a source told the BBC.

But later Greater Manchester Police said the controlled explosion that took place to neutralise the device was carried out on a dummy bomb.

GMP Assistant Chief Constable John O'Hare said: "Following today's controlled explosion, we have since found out that the item was a training device which had accidentally been left by a private company following a training exercise involving explosive search dogs.

"Whilst this item did not turn out to be a viable explosive, on appearance this device was as real as could be, and the decision to evacuate the stadium was the right thing to do, until we could be sure that people were not at risk."

Sunday's incident was Manchester United's second security scare of the week after their team bus was attacked by West Ham fans on Tuesday.

"We're still in the dressing room, seems we'll be the last to leave. There's been nerves and tension," United midfielder Ander Herrera told Spanish radio during the evacuation.

Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward thanked police and fans, and promised an investigation.

"The club takes security very seriously and staff are regularly trained with the police and emergency services to identify and deal with these incidents," he said.

"We will investigate the incident to inform future actions and decisions."

United had hoped to win on Sunday and finish fourth in the English Premier League, but after the day's other results they will need a freakishly large win on Tuesday to take the final Champions League spot.

Manchester United said on their website that ticket holders would be entitled to refunds and free entry to Tuesday's rearranged fixture

Updated Date:

also read

Premier League: Demarai Gray joins Everton on three-year deal after loan spell at Bayer Leverkusen
Sports

Premier League: Demarai Gray joins Everton on three-year deal after loan spell at Bayer Leverkusen

The 25-year-old Gray joins from Bayer Leverkusen, where he had been on loan from Leicester. The contract, till June 2024, includes the option for a fourth year.

Premier League footballers to continue taking the knee in new season
Sports

Premier League footballers to continue taking the knee in new season

A statement issued on behalf of Premier League players said: "We feel now, more than ever, it is important for us to continue to take the knee as a symbol of our unity against all forms of racism.

Manchester United call off Preston friendly after supected COVID-19 cases
Sports

Manchester United call off Preston friendly after supected COVID-19 cases

The routine lateral flow testing saw some possible positive cases returned within the Manchester United camp.