Malaysian ace Lee Chong Wei withdraws from Sudirman Cup on medical advice in another blow to Olympic dream

Malaysia’s badminton king Lee Chong Wei, under treatment for nose cancer, has withdrawn from next month's Sudirman Cup in China after doctors advised him against 'exerting himself'

Agence France-Presse April 25, 2019 15:08:29 IST
Malaysian ace Lee Chong Wei withdraws from Sudirman Cup on medical advice in another blow to Olympic dream
  • The decision to skip Sudirman Cup marks the third time Lee fails to make a comeback and will probably dash his hopes to play in the Tokyo 2020 Olympics

  • Struggling to make a full recovery, Lee has been on the sidelines since July last year, when he was diagnosed with early-stage nose cancer

  • Lee initially planned to play the All England Open in March but then delayed his return to the Malaysia Open in early April

Kuala Lumpur: Malaysia’s badminton king Lee Chong Wei, under treatment for nose cancer, has withdrawn from next month's Sudirman Cup in China after doctors advised him against "exerting himself", an official said on Thursday.

Malaysian ace Lee Chong Wei withdraws from Sudirman Cup on medical advice in another blow to Olympic dream

File image of Lee Chong Wei. Reuters

The decision to skip the 19-26 May tournament in Nanning marks the third time Lee, 36, fails to make a comeback and will probably dash his hopes to play in the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.

He had earlier skipped the All England Open in March and the Malaysia Open in April.

Struggling to make a full recovery, the three-time Olympic silver medallist has been on the sidelines since July last year, when he was diagnosed with early-stage nose cancer.

The 36-year-old legendary shuttler underwent a gruelling programme of specialist treatment in Taiwan but opted not to retire and resumed training in January.

"I would like to confirm that Lee Chong Wei will not compete in the Sudirman Cup mixed team event," Ng Chin Chai, secretary general of the Badminton Association of Malaysia.

"He is on treatment. Lee is advised by his doctor against exerting himself and not to participate in competition yet."

Lee initially planned to play the All England Open in March but then delayed his return to the Malaysia Open, where he is the defending champion, in early April.

Asked if Lee's delay in making a comeback could throw his Tokyo 2020 Olympics dream in a jeopardy, Ng said: "It may have an effect."

Lee must make a comeback by August 14, or lose the protected ranking of World No 3, he said.

"After that his ranking will drop and it would be difficult for Lee to get into major competitions," Ng said.

In another blow to his hopes of making his fifth Olympic appearance, Ng said Lee is not registered for any Badminton World Federation tournaments after May.

"We are not pushing him. It is up to Lee to make the call when he wants to return to competition," he said.

Asked if Lee may not return to competition at all, Ng said: "We will support whatever he decides."

Lee's ranking has dropped to 73rd in the world since his illness, with three other Malaysians ranked above him.

He will need to begin climbing up the rankings to get a shot at elusive gold as countries are able to send a maximum of two singles players to the Olympics, provided they are both in the world's top 16.

Updated Date:

also read

MotoGP: Italian team Gresini Racing to partner with Ducati for 2022, 2023 seasons
Sports

MotoGP: Italian team Gresini Racing to partner with Ducati for 2022, 2023 seasons

"From next year, Gresini Racing will again be an 'independent team' in MotoGP with Ducati," said a statement from the team which had from 2015 competed as Aprilia's factory-supported team.

Mohammad Azharuddin sacked as HCA president for violation of rules
First Cricket News

Mohammad Azharuddin sacked as HCA president for violation of rules

The Apex Council issued a show cause notice to Azharuddin stating the reason of his removal and also cancelling his HCA membership.

Wimbledon 2021: Japan's Naomi Osaka still scheduled to participate in tournament, say organisers
Sports

Wimbledon 2021: Japan's Naomi Osaka still scheduled to participate in tournament, say organisers

The 23-year-old four-time Grand Slam winner said following her withdrawal from the French Open that she was taking some time out of the game as she battles depression and anxiety.