MS Dhoni decided to step down as captain of India’s limited-overs sides on 4 January, 2017, having captained India in 199 ODIs and 72 T20Is. We take a look at statistics on Dhoni’s career as a captain in limited-overs international cricket:
Career highlights and milestones:
- Dhoni captained India in 331 matches, which is the most by any player across formats. He went past Ricky Ponting’s tally of 324 matches as a captain during the T20 against Zimbabwe last year. Dhoni is the only captain to lead an international team in 50 or more matches in each format.
- Dhoni is the only captain to win all three major ICC limited-over tournaments. Under the leadership of Dhoni, India won the 2007 World T20, the 2011 ODI World Cup and the 2013 Champions Trophy. He led India in six finals of limited-over tournaments involving five or more teams and India won four of them, which is the joint most by any captain for a team in limited-over internationals.
- Dhoni won 110 ODI matches as a captain, which is the second most by any player. Ponting is at the first place in the list by winning 165 ODIs. The next best after Dhoni for India in the list is Mohammad Azharuddin, who won 90 ODIs as a captain during his career. Dhoni finished one match short of becoming the third player to captain in 200 ODIs, after Ponting (230) and Stephen Fleming (218).
- MS Dhoni scored 6,633 runs as a captain in ODIs, which is the second most by any captain after Ponting’s 8,497 runs. His average of 53.92 in ODIs as a captain is also the second highest for any captain who has scored at least 1,000 runs in ODIs till date. AB de Villiers is at first place in the table by scoring 4,219 runs from 87 ODIs as a captain, with an average of 65.92.
- Dhoni won 41 T20Is as captain of India, which is the most by any captain. Dhoni led India in 72 T20Is, which is also the most by a captain. Darren Sammy is at the second place in the list with 27 T20I wins as captain of West Indies.
- Dhoni hit 126 sixes as a captain in ODIs in his career, which is the most by any player in ODIs. He went past Ponting’s tally of 123 sixes in ODIs as a captain at Mohali against New Zealand in his last series as captain.
- Dhoni won 15 Man of the Match awards as captain of India, which is the second most by any captain in ODIs. Sanath Jayasuriya, Ponting and Arjuna Ranatunga are ahead of Dhoni in the list, with all having won 19 Man of the match awards.
- Dhoni’s batting average of 70.83 as captain in India’s ODI wins is the third highest for any captain who has scored a minimum 1,000 runs in winning causes in ODIs. Dhoni scored 3,754 runs in India’s wins in ODIs, including three centuries and 29 fifties with a strike rate of 93.19.
- Dhoni was unbeaten 26 times in successful chases in ODIs, which is the most by any captain. Arjuna Ranatunga is at the second place in the list with 22 such innings. In T20Is, also, Dhoni leads the list with 12 such innings.
- Dhoni is the only wicket-keeper to lead a team in more than 100 international matches across formats. Dhoni led India in 331 international matches. The next best for any wicket-keeper captain across formats is 76 by Mushfiqur Rahim.
- There had been 65 players who played under MS Dhoni in ODIs, which is the fourth most for any captain. The record is held by Brian Lara, as under his leadership, 68 players played ODI cricket.
- Dhoni’s win/loss ratio of 1.750 in multi-team tournament finals is the best for any Indian captain in ODIs who has led India in more than one such final. Dhoni had led India in 11 such finals, India won seven of them and lost four. Azharuddin is at the second place in the list with a win/loss ratio of 1.375.
- Dhoni scored 1,112 runs in T20Is as captain of India, which is the most by any captain. He was the first to reach the milestone of 1,000 runs as a captain in T20Is and since then only Faf du Plesis has achieved the feat.
- Dhoni won 67 overseas ODI matches as a captain, which is the second most by any captain in ODIs. Ponting is the only captain to win more than 100 overseas ODI matches.
- Dhoni is the only player to captain a country in six editions of World T20. The next is three each by Paul Collingwood (2007, 2009 and 2010) and Darren Sammy (2012, 2014 and 2016).
- Dhoni is the third captain to win a Man of the Match award in the final of a World Cup. The other two who have achieved the same milestone are Clive Lloyd (in 1975) and Ponting (in 2003). Dhoni was awarded Man of the match for his match-winning knock of 91* runs as an Indian captain in the 2011 World Cup final.
- Dhoni is the second fastest to score 3,000 runs in ODIs as a captain. He achieved the landmark in 70 innings while AB de Villiers is at the first place in the list by completing the milestone in just 60 innings. Dhoni is also the third fastest to 2000 runs in ODIs as a captain. He achieved the feat in 48 ODI innings, while AB de Villiers (41) and Michael Clarke (47) are ahead of him in that list.
- Dhoni won four Man of the Series awards as an Indian captain in ODIs, which is the joint second most by any captain in ODIs. Only Ponting (7) had won more such awards than him.
- Dhoni is one of the two captains who had not scored a fifty in T20Is till date, among captains who have captained a team in at least 30 T20Is. Darren Sammy is the other captain.
Updated Date: Jan 05, 2017 19:37 PM