Lee Chong Wei claims he was approached by badminton match-fixer in past amid investigation of Malaysian shuttlers

Lee Chong Wei has revealed he once rejected an offer by a match-fixer and said he was 'ashamed' two fellow Malaysian badminton players were under investigation over alleged fixing, a report said on Wednesday.

AFP February 21, 2018 10:16:30 IST
Lee Chong Wei claims he was approached by badminton match-fixer in past amid investigation of Malaysian shuttlers

Kuala Lumpur: Lee Chong Wei has revealed he once rejected an offer by a match-fixer and said he was "ashamed" two fellow Malaysian badminton players were under investigation over alleged fixing, a report said on Wednesday.

Lee Chong Wei claims he was approached by badminton matchfixer in past amid investigation of Malaysian shuttlers

File image of Lee Chong Wei. AFP

World number two Lee said he was approached a few years ago, without giving further details.

"Money is not everything to me," he was cited as saying in Kuala Lumpur by Malaysia's New Straits Times newspaper.

"For me, national pride comes first and it is my responsibility to uphold it."

The 35-year-old's revelation came after news emerged last week that two Malaysian players are being investigated by the Badminton World Federation (BWF) for suspected match-fixing.

The pair, who are reportedly due to face a BWF hearing in Singapore later this month, could be banned for life if found guilty.

Lee, a three-time Olympic silver medallist, said the allegations had "tarnished" Malaysia's reputation.

"As a top player, I feel embarrassed and ashamed," he said. "I hope the case comes to an end soon."

Malaysian sports officials have declined to identify the two players embroiled in the scandal, who have been suspended, or give details of the allegations against them.

But reports say they are a former top junior player and another who had taken part in the Thomas Cup, a prestigious team event.

Badminton has been hit by match-fixing scandals before.

At the 2012 Olympics, eight women's doubles players were disqualified for trying to lose group games to gain an easier quarter-final draw.

And in 2014, the BWF asked police to investigate claims by two Danish players, Hans-Kristian Vittinghus and Kim Astrup, that they were approached by a Malaysian man to throw matches.

Updated Date:

also read

Tokyo Olympics 2020: Japan badminton ace Nozomi Okuhara joins Momota in early exit
Sports

Tokyo Olympics 2020: Japan badminton ace Nozomi Okuhara joins Momota in early exit

Women's singles number three seed Okuhara crashed out in the quarter-finals, losing 13-21, 21-13, 21-14 to Chinese number eight seed He Bingjiao.

Tokyo Olympics 2020: PV Sindhu leads Indian badminton's quest for elusive gold at Games
Sports

Tokyo Olympics 2020: PV Sindhu leads Indian badminton's quest for elusive gold at Games

Sindhu is one of the favourites for the gold, especially in the absence of defending champion Carolina Marin, who missed the Games due to an injury.

Tokyo Olympics 2020: I've been working on my aggression and technique, says PV Sindhu
Sports

Tokyo Olympics 2020: I've been working on my aggression and technique, says PV Sindhu

The soft-spoken Indian ace was not known for her aggression till five years back and it was chief national coach Pullela Gopichand, who had transformed her into an aggressive player ahead of the Rio Games.