League One: Controversial manager Joey Barton leaves struggling Fleetwood with 'immediate effect'

Barton guided Fleetwood to the League One play-offs last season, but his team lost to Wycombe in the semi-finals and failed to mount a strong promotion push this term.

Agence France-Presse January 05, 2021 20:18:38 IST
League One: Controversial manager Joey Barton leaves struggling Fleetwood with 'immediate effect'

File image of Joey Barton. Reuters

London: Controversial former Manchester City midfielder Joey Barton has left his post as Fleetwood manager with "immediate effect", the League One club said on Monday.

Barton guided Fleetwood to the League One play-offs last season, but his team lost to Wycombe in the semi-finals and failed to mount a strong promotion push this term.

Fleetwood are in 10th place in the third tier after one win in their last seven league games, with their next two matches postponed due to several positive tests for the coronavirus .

"Fleetwood Town can confirm manager Joey Barton has left the club with immediate effect," a club statement said.

"We would like to thank Joey for his work during his time and wish him success in the future."

Barton, 38, was appointed to his first managerial role in April 2018.

His maiden season in the dug-out was marked by controversy after an alleged clash with then-Barnsley boss Daniel Stendel following a League One match.

Stendel was said to have suffered a damaged tooth following the incident which occurred after Barnsley's 4-2 victory in April 2019.

Former Newcastle star Barton, whose playing career included an England cap in 2007, was due to stand trial last summer having earlier pleaded not guilty to a charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

However, the case was put back to June 2021 because of coronavirus and the interruption to the 2019-20 season.

Barton's appointment raised some eyebrows given his playing career was marred by violent incidents.

In May 2008, he was jailed for six months over a late-night attack on a man and a teenage boy in the centre of his home city of Liverpool.

In July that year he was given a four-month suspended jail term for attacking his Manchester City team-mate, Ousmane Dabo, in training.

His playing career ended when he was banned for 18 months by the Football Association in 2017 after he was investigated for placing 1,260 bets on football matches between 2006 and 2016.

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Premier League: Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho says Fulham have little reason to complain about fixture change
Sports

Premier League: Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho says Fulham have little reason to complain about fixture change

Spurs had been due to play Aston Villa on Wednesday, but a coronavirus outbreak at the Midlands club forced a postponement on Monday.

Premier League: Crystal Palace winger Eberechi Eze becomes latest top-flight star to breach COVID-19 regulations
Sports

Premier League: Crystal Palace winger Eberechi Eze becomes latest top-flight star to breach COVID-19 regulations

Palace said they were unaware of QPR's invitation to Eze and will speak to the England under-21 international after he was seen in the stands at Loftus Road without wearing a mask.

FA Cup: Aston Villa confirm third-round clash against Liverpool is on despite COVID-19 outbreak
Sports

FA Cup: Aston Villa confirm third-round clash against Liverpool is on despite COVID-19 outbreak

It is understood no first-team players will take part in the match. Under-23s coach Mark Delaney is expected to oversee a side made up of under-18 and under-23 players.