LaLiga chief Javier Tebas confirms group training to begin from Monday, hopes league starts from 12 June

LaLiga clubs began individual training earlier this month and the next step will be for them to move to full training before resuming matches without spectators, which must first be approved by the government’s department for health.

Reuters May 18, 2020 09:36:44 IST
LaLiga chief Javier Tebas confirms group training to begin from Monday, hopes league starts from 12 June

Barcelona: Spanish football has edged closer to returning after a long pause due to the COVID-19 pandemic after La Liga president Javier Tebas confirmed clubs in the top two divisions will begin training in groups of up to 10 players from Monday.

LaLiga chief Javier Tebas confirms group training to begin from Monday hopes league starts from 12 June

File imge of La Liga president Javier Tebas. Reuters

The return to group training follows a government announcement on Saturday allowing sports teams to return to activity regardless of the status of the lockdown in their own region.

Previously, only teams from regions that were in phase one of the de-escalation of the national state of emergency would be able to return to training in groups. The provinces of Madrid and Barcelona are currently in phase zero.

“The confirmation of the return of group training will help to level up to standardise training,” Tebas told Spanish television station Movistar on Sunday.

“It’s very important that all teams are training at the same level and we are grateful that is now the case.”

All organised football in Spain has been indefinitely suspended since 12 March, with Tebas previously warning that clubs would lose up to € one billion if the season was not allowed to be completed.

Clubs began individual training earlier this month and the next step will be for them to move to full training before resuming matches without spectators, which must first be approved by the government’s department for health.

Tebas reaffirmed that he hopes matches will start up again from 12 June and said he was feeling even more optimistic about being able to complete the season after the Bundesliga became the first major European league to resume action this weekend.

“I’ve sent my congratulations to the Bundesliga because they have made a tremendous effort,” he added.

“We have worked very hard along side them in these last few months, exchanging protocols and ideas and I’m very proud of the Bundesliga because it wasn’t easy but they were the first and they are an example to follow.”

Click here to follow Live updates related to the coronavirus outbreak

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Coronavirus Outbreak: Chinese Super League to commence on 25 July after near five-month delay
Sports

Coronavirus Outbreak: Chinese Super League to commence on 25 July after near five-month delay

The league was originally set to start on 22 February but was postponed indefinitely because of the spread of COVID-19, which first emerged in China in late 2019.

Premier League: Brendan Rodgers says people shouldn't judge Leicester City on last four games
Sports

Premier League: Brendan Rodgers says people shouldn't judge Leicester City on last four games

Third-placed Leicester have picked up just two points from their last three Premier League games and crashed out of the FA Cup last week after a 1-0 defeat by Chelsea in the quarter-finals.

EFL Championship: Wigan Athletic enter bankruptcy protection just month after Hong Kong consortium's takeover
Sports

EFL Championship: Wigan Athletic enter bankruptcy protection just month after Hong Kong consortium's takeover

Wigan are 14th in the League Championship with six games remaining of the season that restarted, without fans being allowed into matches, after a three-month break because of the pandemic.