LaLiga: Barcelona captain Lionel Messi prefers not to over-think risk of infection as Spanish league return looms
Messi and his Barcelona team mates have been back at the club’s training ground conducting individual sessions since last week, following LaLiga’s four-phase protocol for returning to activity
Lionel Messi believes he is better off not thinking too much about the risk of being infected by the coronavirus as Spanish football clubs step up their return to activity, saying he looks forward to getting back to playing matches.
Messi and his Barcelona team mates have been back at the club’s training ground conducting individual sessions since last week, following La Liga’s four-phase protocol for returning to activity since it was halted in March due to the pandemic.
All 11 remaining rounds of fixtures in LaLiga will take place without spectators, with President Javier Tebas saying last week that matches could start as soon as 12 June.
While some players and clubs have spoken out against football returning out of fear of picking up the virus or passing it on to others, Messi said returning to matches was no riskier than leaving home for any other reason.
“There’s a risk of infection everywhere, when you leave your house there’s a risk, so I think we shouldn’t think too much about it because if you do you won’t want to go anywhere,” Messi told Spanish newspaper Mundo Deportivo on Friday.
“But we must understand that it’s essential we comply with the protocols and follow the prevention measures as much as we can. Returning to training is the first step but we shouldn’t get complacent and we must take all precautions necessary.”
Messi said he is excited about returning to matches but voiced his opposition to LaLiga’s proposal for teams to be quarantined together, away from their families, once matches resume.
“Personally I’m looking forward to the competition returning. We know it’s going to all be very strange, without anyone in the stands, I’ve done it before and I found it out,” said the Barca captain.
“With regards to being quarantined, the truth is we don’t like the idea of being separated from our families at all but we’ll have to see what the final plan is.”
Messi misses cut for Ballon d’Or list of nominees for first time since 2005; Ronaldo and Benzema nominated
Lionel Messi edged out Poland striker Robert Lewandowski for the Ballon d’Or last year but wasn't nominated this time after an underwhelming first season at Paris Saint-Germain.
People have once again fallen in love with Argentina star Lionel Messi’s humble approach toward his little fan.
There have been no dramatic changes at Real Madrid, and no hint of a superstar signing to reinforce the attack after Kylian Mbappe turned them down in favour of a new contract at PSG.