Japan's Osaka International Challenge badminton tournament cancelled over coronavirus fears

The Yonex Osaka International Challenge for young players was called off 'because it is difficult to host foreign players' under current immigration rules, the Nippon Badminton Association said.

Agence France-Presse January 30, 2021 12:39:13 IST
Japan's Osaka International Challenge badminton tournament cancelled over coronavirus fears

Representational image. AFP

Tokyo: An international badminton competition due to take place this spring in Japan has been cancelled, organisers said on Saturday, the latest sporting event to be hit by virus travel restrictions just six months before the Tokyo Olympics.

The Yonex Osaka International Challenge for young players was called off "because it is difficult to host foreign players" under current immigration rules, the Nippon Badminton Association said.

An association spokesman told AFP that he was concerned about the fate of other badminton competitions used as qualifiers for the Olympics.

"We are worried about whether competitions scheduled for March onwards— which will be used as part of the selection process for Olympic athletes— will be held as scheduled," he said on condition of anonymity.

The cancelled competition had been scheduled to take place from 31 March to 4 April.

Large parts of Japan, including Tokyo and the western city of Osaka are under a state of emergency to tackle a spike in coronavirus cases, with borders closed to almost all foreigners with no exception for athletes.

The first Tokyo Olympics test event of 2021, an artistic swimming competition scheduled for March, was postponed on Thursday for two months— also because of travel restrictions.

On the same day, it was announced that the Japanese team had withdrawn from a women's four-nation football tournament in Florida next month because of the surge in COVID-19 infections in Japan.

The Tokyo Olympics— initially set to take place last year but postponed due to the virus— are set to start on 23 July.

Despite growing concern over the event's feasibility, organisers and the IOC insist it can be held safely.

Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga vowed Friday that the Olympics would be held this summer "as a symbol of global unity" to "bring hope and courage to the world".

The state of emergency, which requests restaurants and bars close early, will remain in place in affected areas until at least 7 February.

While Japan has seen a smaller coronavirus outbreak than many other countries, with around 5,400 deaths overall, doctors warn hospitals are at risk of collapse.

Updated Date:

Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro at ₹499 for the first year. Use code PRO499. Limited period offer. *T&C apply

also read

India to skip ISSF World Cup in South Korea due to 14-day quarantine requirements
Sports

India to skip ISSF World Cup in South Korea due to 14-day quarantine requirements

The tournament, recognised by the International Shooting Sport Federation, is scheduled to be held in the Korean city from 16-27 April.

Tokyo Olympics 2020: Wrestler Bajrang Punia takes break from social media to focus on preparation for Games
Sports

Tokyo Olympics 2020: Wrestler Bajrang Punia takes break from social media to focus on preparation for Games

Punia will be seen in action in the UWW ranking series event — Matteo Pellicone in Italy from Thursday.

Tokyo Olympics 2020: USA to begin quest for fourth straight men’s basketball gold against France
Sports

Tokyo Olympics 2020: USA to begin quest for fourth straight men’s basketball gold against France

The mighty US, aiming to win their fourth straight gold and 16th in total, will face the French at Saitama Stadium, north of the Japanese capital, on the first day of the basketball competition.