ISSF New Delhi Shooting World Cup 2019: Pakistani contingent granted visas ending uncertainty over participation

Pakistan's shooters were granted visas to participate in the World Cup ending speculation about their presence in the wake of the Pulwama terrorist attack.

Press Trust of India February 18, 2019 20:37:33 IST
ISSF New Delhi Shooting World Cup 2019: Pakistani contingent granted visas ending uncertainty over participation
  • Pakistan's shooters were granted visas to participate in the World Cup ending speculation about their presence in the wake of the Pulwama terrorist attack.

  • The terrorist attack had cast a doubt over Pakistan shooters' participation in the World Cup.

  • Pakistan applied for visas for two shooters in the rapid-fire category — GM Bashir and Khalil Ahmed — for the World Cup.

New Delhi/Karachi: Pakistan's shooters were on Monday granted visas to participate in the New Delhi World Cup, a top Indian shooting official told PTI, ending speculation about their presence in the event in the wake of the Pulwama terrorist attack.

The ISSF (International Shooting Sport Federation) event, which will offer 16 quota places for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, starts at the Dr Karni Singh Range on Thursday.

ISSF New Delhi Shooting World Cup 2019 Pakistani contingent granted visas ending uncertainty over participation

Representative image. AFP

"Their visa has been cleared and we have received communication from the Indian High Commission and the Pakistan shooting federation. The two shooters and the manager's tickets are also being booked," National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) secretary Rajiv Bhatia told PTI.

Earlier, the terrorist attack had cast a doubt over Pakistan shooters' participation in the World Cup, with the country's federation saying in Karachi that it would not send its marksmen if the visas don't come through by this evening.

At least 40 CRPF paramilitary troopers were killed while several others injured in what is being termed as the deadliest terrorist strike in three decades in Jammu and Kashmir.

The Indian government had given clearance for the applications, but that was before last Thursday's dastardly attack.

Pakistan applied for visas for two shooters in the rapid-fire category — GM Bashir and Khalil Ahmed — for the World Cup.

Pakistan's National Rifle Shooting Federation President Razi Ahmed had earlier said that the secretary of NRAI had assured him that visas would be granted since the Indian home ministry has given its clearance.

He added that air tickets had been booked and NOCs (No Objection Certificates) obtained for taking the ammunition to New Delhi for use in the championship.

Updated Date:

also read

Olympic shooting camp to go on as planned despite coach testing positive for COVID-19
Sports

Olympic shooting camp to go on as planned despite coach testing positive for COVID-19

SAI, in a press release, said the coach intimated the result of her COVID-19 test to them on Thursday but since she did not come in contact with any of the shooters, the facility will remain open for training.

LISTEN: Full script of Episosde 149 of Spodcast where we discuss IOC's decision to suspend India as future hosts, ISL results and more
Sports

LISTEN: Full script of Episosde 149 of Spodcast where we discuss IOC's decision to suspend India as future hosts, ISL results and more

Here's the full script of episode 149 of Spodcast, where we discuss IOC's decision to suspend all discussions with India regarding hosting future sports, Sunil Gavaskar and Sourav Ganguly's comments on Indo-Pak relations and other stories, including the ISL.

ISSF Shooting World Cup 2019: Event may lose Olympic quotas after Pakistani athletes denied visas in wake of Pulwama attack
Sports

ISSF Shooting World Cup 2019: Event may lose Olympic quotas after Pakistani athletes denied visas in wake of Pulwama attack

The ISSF Shooting World Cup in New Delhi stands to lose all 16 Olympic berths after athletes from Pakistan were denied visas in the wake of Pulwama attack.