IPL 2017: Gujarat Lions' all-rounder Dwayne Bravo ruled out of tournament due to injury

Gujarat Lions on Sunday suffered a setback as West Indies all-rounder Dwayne Bravo, so crucial to the franchise' plans, was ruled out of the 10th edition of Indian Premier League (IPL).

PTI April 23, 2017 21:22:59 IST
IPL 2017: Gujarat Lions' all-rounder Dwayne Bravo ruled out of tournament due to injury

Rajkot: Gujarat Lions on Sunday suffered a setback as West Indies all-rounder Dwayne Bravo, so crucial to the franchise' plans, was ruled out of the 10th edition of Indian Premier League (IPL).

Bravo is yet to fully recuperate from his left hamstring surgery after sustaining an injury in December during the Big Bash League.

IPL 2017 Gujarat Lions allrounder Dwayne Bravo ruled out of tournament due to injury

File photo of Dwayne Bravo. Sportzpics/IPL

The Gujarat franchise was expecting him to get fit during the later part of the League as he was travelling with the team while undergoing rehabilitation.

"It is with deep regret that I announce my decision to withdraw from the ongoing season of the Indian Premier League, owing to my hamstring injury," Bravo said in a statement.

He added, "I have been with the Gujarat Lions squad since the beginning of their IPL 2017 campaign, undergoing my rehab on the sidelines, in the hope of returning to the cricket field in the second half of the tournament."

Bravo suffered the injury while fielding for Melbourne Renegades - his BBL team - against Perth Scorchers on December 29.

"While recovery is going well and I have made vast improvement and have participated in team trainings with the Lions, my body is not ready to perform at its fullest potential.

"I have the deepest respect for the calibre of players and sportsmanship at the IPL and undoubtedly have the love and support of the best sports fans in the world. It is for them that I perform at my best every time I go on to the pitch," Bravo said.

Lions are presently at the bottom of the table. In 2016, their debut IPL season, Lions had finished on top of the league with nine wins in 14 games, but did not make the final. Bravo had been their second highest wicket-taker last year, with 17 scalps.

"Unfortunately, I am simply not able to perform at my best which is what my team, fellow cricketers and fans deserve. I sincerely apologise to my Gujarat Lions teammates, franchise owners and my fans for this disappointment. I, too, am deeply saddened and disappointed, particularly because I know how much my fans were looking forward to my return.

"This is one of the hardest decisions I have had to make in my career but I do believe withdrawal from this season of the IPL will allow me to perform at my best later on in the year."

Bravo was stretchered off the field after injuring his foot near the boundary during the BBL.

He further said, "Many people played a part in the road to recovery and I sincerely thank the owners, management and medical staff of the Gujarat Lions for their unwavering support and commitment.

"I wish the Gujarat Lions team all the very best for the remainder of the campaign. I thank everyone for the love and encouragement and look forward to returning to the pitch.

Updated Date:

also read

The Hundred: 'An opportunity to take 10 wickets straightaway', Rashid Khan ready to make his mark
First Cricket News

The Hundred: 'An opportunity to take 10 wickets straightaway', Rashid Khan ready to make his mark

Rashid Khan finds himself in an even shorter format that will see him turning out for the Nottingham-based Trent Rockets when they begin their Hundred campaign at home to the Southern Brave.

Shreyas Iyer ruled out of Lancashire's Royal London Cup campaign
First Cricket News

Shreyas Iyer ruled out of Lancashire's Royal London Cup campaign

Iyer started hitting the nets recently but it is understood that he is far from being ready for the 22 July- 18 August tournament.

The Hundred: Players and staff urged to avoid high-risk areas, minimise social interaction in inaugural edition of event
First Cricket News

The Hundred: Players and staff urged to avoid high-risk areas, minimise social interaction in inaugural edition of event

However, the provisions surrounding cases, which require the close contacts of a person who tested positive to self-isolate for 10 days — will continue until 16 August.