Inter Milan coach Antonio Conte under police protection after bullet sent in post to Serie A club, say reports

Inter Milan later said in a statement to Italian news agency Ansa that the threatening letter containing a bullet arrived at the club and not personally to Antonio Conte.

Agence France-Presse November 16, 2019 18:37:38 IST
Inter Milan coach Antonio Conte under police protection after bullet sent in post to Serie A club, say reports
  • Inter Milan later said in a statement to Italian news agency Ansa that the letter arrived at the club and not personally to Conte.

  • An investigation has now been launched while Conte is receiving police surveillance outside his home and at the training ground.

  • Conte joined Inter in the summer and the Italian outfit are currently one point behind his former club Juventus at the top of Serie A.

Milan: Inter Milan coach Antonio Conte is receiving police protection after a threatening letter containing a bullet was sent to him through the post, Italian media reported on Saturday.

According to Corriere della Sera, the former Italy and Chelsea manager received the anonymous threatening letter containing a bullet in recent days.

Inter Milan coach Antonio Conte under police protection after bullet sent in post to Serie A club say reports

File image of Antonio Conte. AFP

Serie A club Inter Milan later said in a statement to Italian news agency Ansa that "the letter arrived at the club and not personally to the coach".

"In relation to the news published today, Inter Milan states that Antonio Conte did not personally receive any threatening letters and, consequently, he did not go in person to file a complaint," the club statement said.

"It was the club that received a letter and, as is the practice in this kind of situation, it contacted the competent authorities."

An investigation has now been launched while Conte is receiving police surveillance outside his home and at Inter's training ground, Gazzetta Dello Sport reported.

Meanwhile, Conte's wife Elisabetta Muscarello wrote on social media: "For the record: the story of the bullet is a hoax!"

Conte joined Inter in the summer and the Italian outfit are currently one point behind his former club Juventus at the top of Serie A.

The 50-year-old led Juventus to three consecutive Serie A titles from 2012 to 2014 before taking over as Italy national coach.

He also spent two seasons at Chelsea, winning both the Premier League and the FA Cup during his time at Stamford Bridge.

Conte took over from Luciano Spalletti, who led Inter to a fourth-place finish last season.

Updated Date:

also read

Premier League: Tottenham fightback gives Antonio Conte lift-off; Manchester City sweep aside Everton
Sports

Premier League: Tottenham fightback gives Antonio Conte lift-off; Manchester City sweep aside Everton

A severely depleted Leeds remain just two points above the relegation zone after threatening to spoil Conte's first home league game since he replaced Nuno Espirito Santo.

Serie A: Napoli honour Maradona by crushing Lazio and going clear at top; Sassuolo beat Milan
First Cricket News

Serie A: Napoli honour Maradona by crushing Lazio and going clear at top; Sassuolo beat Milan

Sassuolo emerged worthy winners at the San Siro earlier on Sunday after recovering from Alessio Romagnoli's 21st-minute header through a superb Gianluca Scamacca strike, Simon Kjaer's own goal and a solo effort from Domenico Berardi.

Europa Conference League: Antonio Conte says he's no magician after Spurs' shock loss against NS Mura
Sports

Europa Conference League: Antonio Conte says he's no magician after Spurs' shock loss against NS Mura

Spurs will now likely have to beat Rennes at home in their final group game to avoid crashing out of Europe's third-tier competition.