Indian Wells Masters: World No 25 Kei Nishikori withdraws from tournament through illness

Nishikori withdrew from the Australian Open with a wrist injury and in his most recent outing at the Mexican Open, he lost in the first round to Denis Shapovalov.

AFP March 12, 2018 10:18:40 IST
Indian Wells Masters: World No 25 Kei Nishikori withdraws from tournament through illness

Indian Wells: Japan's Kei Nishikori has pulled out of the ATP Indian Wells Masters ahead of his scheduled opening match on Sunday with illness.

"Unfortunately I have to pull out," Nishikori said. "I have been sick for over a week and tried everything I could to get better.

Indian Wells Masters World No 25 Kei Nishikori withdraws from tournament through illness

File image of Kei Nishikori. AP

"I'm still not strong enough to go play a match. I'm very sorry as I love this tournament. I really look forward to being back next year."

The World No 25 was scheduled to face Argentina's Leonardo Mayer in a second-round match at the joint ATP/WTA hardcourt tournament.

Nishikori withdrew from the Australian Open earlier this year with a right wrist injury. In his most recent outing at the Mexican Open in Acapulco, he lost in the first round to Canadian rising star Denis Shapovalov.

As the 22nd seed, Nishikori received a bye through the first round. His place in the draw will be taken by lucky loser Ruben Bemelmans.

Updated Date:

also read

Naomi Osaka's mental health discussion resonates at French Open
Sports

Naomi Osaka's mental health discussion resonates at French Open

Naomi Osaka's place of prominence and her decisions to withdraw from French Open, to explain why and to take two mental health breaks last season resonated.

Queen's, Eastbourne to offer full ATP ranking points despite banning Russian players
Sports

Queen's, Eastbourne to offer full ATP ranking points despite banning Russian players

Governing body of men's tennis said "Queen's and Eastbourne will proceed as normal, offering full ATP ranking points."

Daniil Medvedev ready to play Wimbledon if ban on Russian players reversed
Sports

Daniil Medvedev ready to play Wimbledon if ban on Russian players reversed

Daniil Medvedev, 26, said if other players at Geneva Open wanted to discuss the Wimbledon ban, he was happy to talk.