Indian Wells Masters: Simona Halep, Angelique Kerber pull out of event after failing to recover from injuries

Former world number ones Simona Halep and Angelique Kerber have pulled out of next week’s BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells after failing to recover from injuries.

Reuters March 07, 2020 20:32:04 IST
Indian Wells Masters: Simona Halep, Angelique Kerber pull out of event after failing to recover from injuries
  • The tournament is the season’s first Premier Mandatory event and Halep has not shaken off a foot problem

  • Halep, who won the Dubai title last month, was champion at Indian Wells in 2015

  • Kerber has not recovered from a leg injury and is also set to miss this month’s Miami Open

Former world number ones Simona Halep and Angelique Kerber have pulled out of next week’s BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells after failing to recover from injuries.

The tournament is the season’s first Premier Mandatory event and Romanian Halep, the reigning Wimbledon champion, has not shaken off a foot problem.

Indian Wells Masters Simona Halep Angelique Kerber pull out of event after failing to recover from injuries

File image of 2015 Indian Wells and former world No 1 Simona Halep. AP

“I’m incredibly disappointed to have to withdraw from the 2020 BNP Paribas Open,” Halep, the world number two, said in a statement on the tournament’s Twitter handle.

“Unfortunately, the foot injury that I picked up before Dubai is still causing me trouble and I will be unable to recover in time to travel to Indian Wells.”

Halep, who won the Dubai title last month, was champion at Indian Wells in 2015.

Three-times Grand Slam champion Kerber has not recovered from a leg injury and the 32-year-old is also set to miss this month’s Miami Open.

“My patience is being tested these days as I’m still recovering from a left leg injury,” the German, last year’s runner-up at Indian Wells, wrote on Instagram.

“I was hoping to be ready in time for the upcoming tournaments in Indian Wells and Miami, but my medical team advised me to give it a little bit more rest.”

Updated Date:

also read

US Open to welcome back supporters at 100 percent capacity, says USTA
Sports

US Open to welcome back supporters at 100 percent capacity, says USTA

After being forced to shut out fans last year due to Covid-19, the tournament will begin selling tickets for the 30 August - 12 September showdown at Flushing Meadows to the public on 15 July.

Wimbledon 2021: Japan's Naomi Osaka still scheduled to participate in tournament, say organisers
Sports

Wimbledon 2021: Japan's Naomi Osaka still scheduled to participate in tournament, say organisers

The 23-year-old four-time Grand Slam winner said following her withdrawal from the French Open that she was taking some time out of the game as she battles depression and anxiety.

France's Alize Cornet beats Garbine Muguruza to reach semi-finals in Berlin WTA tournament
Sports

France's Alize Cornet beats Garbine Muguruza to reach semi-finals in Berlin WTA tournament

Cornet, currently 63rd in the world, dug deep to seal a 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7/5) victory over Spain's two-time Grand Slam winner Muguruza, now ranked 13th, after almost three hours on court.