IPL 2016: Glad to have the new helmet on, says George Bailey after bouncer scare
Australia's George Bailey felt like he was "hit on the face with a truck" when a Nathan Coulter-Nile bouncer knocked his helmet off in an Indian Premier League (IPL) match in Visakhapatnam on Tuesday.
In the seventh over of Pune's reply, Delhi paceman Coulter-Nile, who made his Australia Twenty20 debut under Bailey in 2013, banged in a short delivery that deflected off his former skipper's top-edge and smashed into the grille of the helmet.
The violent impact caused the tumbling headgear to partially disintegrate as it rolled wide of the stumps.
"I think those watching on TV would get a better picture of it than I do, because what I sort of remember is me getting hit on the face with a truck that was pretty quick," Bailey said after his team's 19-run victory.
"But, I was pretty glad to have one of those new helmets on."
Last week, Cricket Australia decided to make it compulsory for players to wear helmets against pacemen following a review into the death of test batsman Phillip Hughes, who died in November 2014 after being hit in the head by a bouncer.
Coulter-Nile was seen apologising to his former captain while Delhi fielders also inquired about Bailey's condition.
"A couple of them were disappointed that the helmet hadn't rolled on to the stumps," Bailey said with a smile.
"But, most people were just checking on me and how I was."
— ABC Grandstand (@abcgrandstand) May 18, 2016
Jos Buttler, Eoin Morgan's non-participation in remainder of IPL 2021 could save KKR, Royals the blushes, says BCCI source
The posts, in which Buttler and Morgan used the word ''sir'' to mock the Indians, started doing the rounds on social media after the ECB suspended Robinson.
Currently, BCCI president Sourav Ganguly, vice-president Rajiv Shukla, acting CEO Hemang Amin, treasurer Arun Dhumal, joint secretary Jayesh George and IPL chairman Brijesh Patel are in the UAE to finalise the arrangements.
IPL 2021 return 'hard to justify' for Australia players who have withdrawn from international tours, says Aaron Finch
Australia's seven top cricketers including the likes of David Warner, Pat Cummins, Glenn Maxwell, Jhye Richardson, Kane Richardson, Marcus Stoinis and Daniel Sams have pulled out from the upcoming West Indies series for varied reasons and also said that they won't be visiting Bangladesh if that tour is confirmed.