India vs England Vizag Test Day 1 stats wrap: From Virat Kohli's form to Cheteshwar Pujara consistency
Statistical highlights on the first day of the second cricket Test between India and England in Visakhapatnam on Thursday.
Visakhapatnam: Statistical highlights on the first day of the second cricket Test between India and England in Visakhapatnam on Thursday.
- Virat Kohli is the sixth Indian batsman to register a hundred in his 50th Test, joining Polly Umrigar, Gundappa Viswanath, Sunil Gavaskar, VVS Laxman and Kapil Dev.
- Kohli has registered six centuries of 140-plus out of his last seven. In his first seven Tests, he did not touch 120 even once.
- Kohli has recorded two hundreds vs England out of his overall tally of 14.
- Kohli's tally of 14 Test hundreds includes five in India. His three innings of 150 as captain have been bettered by only two Indian captains - Sunil Gavaskar (5) and Mohammad Azharuddin (5).
- Murali Vijay has completed his 3000 runs in Tests at an average of 40.54 in 44 Tests.
- Pujara has hit four hundreds vs England - the most by him against any side in Tests. His overall tally is 10 centuries - eight at home and two away from home.
- Pujara has posted three hundreds in consecutive Tests -one each at Indore (vs New Zealand), Rajkot and Visakhapatnam (both vs England) - all three at new Test centres.
- Apart from Pujara, four other batsmen - Joe Root, Jonny Bairstow, Virat Kohli and Moeen Ali - have registered three centuries in Tests this year
- Lokesh Rahul has registered his first duck in Tests.
- Virat Kohli and Cheteshwar pujara were associated in a stand of 226 - India's third highest partnership for the third wicket vs England in Tests - the highest being 316 between Yashpal Sharma and Gundappa Viswanath at Chennai in January 1982.
- The above stand is the highest by Pujara-Kohli pair for any wicket in Tests, surpassing the 222 for the third wicket vs South Africa at Johannesburg in December 2013.
- James Anderson has captured 85 wickets (ave.26.50) in 20 Tests - the most by an England bowler vs India in Tests.
- For the first time in a Test match vs India in India, seven left-handed batsmen have appeared.
- For the sixth time in the first innings of a Test match, number three (Pujara) and four (Kohli) have registered hundreds - the last instance being Rahul Dravid (129) and Sachin Tendulkar (122 not out) vs Bangladesh at Mirpur in 2007.
- In 19 consecutive Tests under Virat Kohli's captaincy, India did not field the same playing eleven.
Rahul Dravid is set to take over as the national cricket team's head coach after the T20 World Cup in the UAE, after he agreed to the BCCI's offer after initial reluctance.
Suryakumar Yadav and Ishan Kishan have relaxed a little bit after getting India cap, says Sunil Gavaskar
Gavaskar added that Hardik Pandya not bowling in ongoing IPL is a "big blow" for not just Mumbai Indians but also the T20 World Cup-bound Indian team.
'Just what the Doctor ordered': Twitter reacts to news that Rahul Dravid could be next India head coach
Dravid will be appointed as head coach of the Indian men's cricket team post the 2021 T20 World Cup for a period of two years, as per media reports.