India vs England, Rajkot Test, Day 2 stats wrap: From Ashwin leaking runs to Stokes' ton after three ducks
Ravichandran Ashwin has conceded 160 runs or more for the third time in a Test innings.
Rajkot: Statistical highlights after the end of the second day's play in the opening cricket Test between India and England at the Saurashtra Cricket Association stadium in Rajkot on Thursday.
1. England (537) have recorded their third highest total against India in Tests in India - the top two being 652/7 declared at Chennai in January 1985 and 559/8 declared at Kanpur in February 1964.
2. Moeen Ali has recorded his fourth century in Tests - his first against India - his first three included two against Sri Lanka and one against Pakistan. His outstanding 117 against India is his first century in 21 innings (12 Tests) away from home.
3. Ali's previous highest score in Tests away from home was 68 against Bangladesh at Chittagong in October 2016.
4. Thanks to his century at Rajkot, Ali's overseas average in Tests is 26.38 - his tally being 475 in 21 innings.
5. Ten England batsmen, including Ali and Ben Stokes, have registered hundreds against India in India in their maiden Test.
6. Ravindra Jadeja (3/86) has produced his best bowling performance against England in Tests in India - his second best against England, next only to the 3 for 52 at Southampton in July 2014.
7. Jadeja enjoys an outstanding bowling average in Tests in India - his tally being 67 wickets (average 18.02) in 13 Tests.
8. Stuart Broad, for the first time in Tests, has batted as a number eleven batsman. Just three other batsmen have batted at this position in their respective 100th Test - Makhaya Ntini, Glenn McGrath and James Anderson.
9. Ravichandran Ashwin (46-3-167-2) has conceded 160 runs or more for the third time in a Test innings - his worst being 194 runs vs Australia at Adelaide in January 2012.
10. Ben Stokes has produced an outstanding knock of 128 – his first hundred against India and his fourth in Tests – one each against New Zealand, Australia, South Africa and India - all four centuries at No six.
11. Before the Rajkot Test, Stokes had recorded three consecutive ducks in his first three outings against India in Tests in 2014 – 0 at Nottingham and a pair – 0 and 0 at Lord's.
12. Jonny Bairstow has amassed 1,164 runs at an average of 64.66 in 13 Tests (21 innings), including three centuries and five fifties, extending his record for most runs by a wicketkeeper in a calendar year in Tests.
13. Zimbabwe's Andy Flower and Bairstow are the only wicketkeepers to have accomplished the feat of recording 1,000 runs in a calendar year in Tests. Flower had scored 1,045 (average 80.38) in 16 Test innings in 2000.
14. Root, Ali and Stokes have provided the tenth instance when three players from a visiting side have recorded centuries in the same Test innings in India.
15. The last instance for England batsmen scoring three hundreds in the same Test innings was against Sri Lanka at Cardiff in May 2011 - Cook (133), Trott (203) and Bell (103 not out).
England trail 2-1 after their 157-run defeat at the Oval ahead of Friday's decider at Old Trafford but head coach Chris Silverwood has made only minor alterations to his squad.
There have been less than nine overs since Lunch, but in that time all but one outcome has been firmly swept from the table, England’s middle order has been ritually sacrificed, four wickets lost and a Test match won.
India vs England: Hosts' deficiencies laid bare in all departments at The Oval, says Michael Vaughan
Vaughan found faults in every department of the game which England ended up losing by 157 runs despite gaining a 99-run first innings lead.