India Open badminton to go ahead as planned, to be played in empty stadium over coronavirus fears

The India Open Super 500 tournament, a crucial event for the Tokyo Olympic qualification, will be held without any spectators due to the global novel coronavirus outbreak, Badminton Association of India (BAI) said

Press Trust of India March 11, 2020 15:39:17 IST
India Open badminton to go ahead as planned, to be played in empty stadium over coronavirus fears
  • The $400,000 tournament was under threat in the wake of the COVID-19 outbreak, which has claimed over 4000 lives and infected more than 100,000 people globally

  • One of the precautions taken by the organisers is to restrict the entry of people inside the stadium

  • Many top players such as two-time Olympic champion Lin Dan, London bronze medallist Saina Nehwal and Rio Olympics quarterfinalist Kidambi Srikanth are racing against time to book their ticket to Tokyo

The India Open Super 500 tournament, a crucial event for the Tokyo Olympic qualification, will be held without any spectators due to the global novel coronavirus outbreak, Badminton Association of India (BAI) said on Wednesday.

India Open badminton to go ahead as planned to be played in empty stadium over <span class=coronavirus fears" width="380" height="285" />

Representational image. AFP

The $400,000 tournament was under threat in the wake of the COVID-19 outbreak, which has claimed over 4000 lives and infected more than 100,000 people globally.

However, BAI and the Badminton World Federation (BWF) on Wednesday issued a joint statement, making it clear that the event will go ahead as originally planned adding that precautionary measures will be taken for the smooth conduct of the tournament.

"The YONEX-SUNRISE India Open 2020 to be staged in New Delhi from 24-29 March will go ahead as planned," the statement said.

"Enhanced precautionary measures will be in place to ensure the welfare and safety of players, their entourage and officials."

One of the precautions taken by the organisers is to restrict the entry of people inside the stadium.

"The India Open will be held as planned at the KD Jadhav stadium in Indira Gandhi Indoor stadium but to ensure safety of everybody we have decided not to allow any spectator this time," BAI General Secretary, Ajay K Singhania told PTI.

"Fans can watch the matches on Youtube for the initial days while Hotstar will show the matches from quarterfinal onwards," he said.

The coronavirus outbreak has already forced the postponement of four Olympic qualifying badminton events so far -- Lingshui China Masters (25 February to 1 March), Vietnam International Challenge (24-29 March), German Open (3 to 8 March) and Polish Open (26-29 March).

Given the health hazard, the Indian government has suspended all regular visas/e-visas granted on or before 3 March to nationals of Italy, Iran, South Korea, Japan who have not yet entered India.

The government has also made a 14-day quarantine mandatory for the people coming from Republic of Korea, Iran and Italy to India.

According to the advisory, passengers arriving directly or indirectly from China, South Korea, Japan, Iran, Italy, Hong Kong, Macau, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, Nepal, Thailand, Singapore and Taiwan must undergo medical screening at the port of entry.

The draw of the Indian Open includes shuttlers from most of these countries, including a number of top Chinese players such as He Bingjiao, Shi Yu Qi and Lin Dan, who were cleared to participate in upcoming BWF World Tour tournaments in Europe.

The BWF and BAI said it has reached the decision to host the event after "BAI consulted experts over the past few days regarding advisories issued by health authorities in India."

"BWF accepts that all relevant health, safety and logistical risks have been considered in this process," the statement read.
After India Open, the Malaysia Open World Tour Super 750 (31 March - 5 April) and Singapore Open World Tour Super 500 (7-12 April) are the only two major events which fall inside the 28 April deadline for Olympic qualification.

Many top players such as two-time Olympic champion Lin Dan, London bronze medallist Saina Nehwal and Rio Olympics quarterfinalist Kidambi Srikanth are racing against time to book their ticket to Tokyo.

BWF reiterated that it "is continuing to monitor all official updates on COVID-19 with no change to the intention to stage other HSBC BWF World Tour or BWF-sanctioned tournaments at this time.

Updated Date:

also read

YouTuber Bhuvan Bam's parents pass away due to COVID-19 complications
Entertainment

YouTuber Bhuvan Bam's parents pass away due to COVID-19 complications

'Everything fell apart in a month,' Bhuvan Bam wrote on Instagram, sharing the news of his parents' demise

Facilitating legitimate travel a top priority: American diplomat on allowing Indian students to go to US
India

Facilitating legitimate travel a top priority: American diplomat on allowing Indian students to go to US

In view of surging COVID-19 infections, President Joe Biden authorised a travel ban for certain non-immigrants from India under a Presidential Proclamation that came into effect on 4 May

'Need transparency': WHO chief asks China to cooperate with investigation into origins of COVID-19
World

'Need transparency': WHO chief asks China to cooperate with investigation into origins of COVID-19

Recently, the calls to investigate further the origins of the virus have intensified. President Biden has also ordered a fresh US intelligence inquiry into the origins of the pandemic