India have the 'character to make an impact at the 2017 Fifa U-17 World Cups, says Luis Norton de Matos
India's U-17 World Cup coach Luis Norton de Matos says the team has the 'character' to make an impact in the FIFA tournament, scheduled to be held in the country later this year, if it adopts his philosophy.
Margao: India's U-17 World Cup coach Luis Norton de Matos says the team has the "character" to make an impact in the Fifa tournament, scheduled to be held in the country later this year, if it adopts his philosophy.
The tournament is to be held across six venues from 6 to 28 October.
Portuguese De Matos, whose great grandfather had lived in Goa, arrived here last Saturday and got onto the field for his first training session on Monday.
"I cannot tell you about it right now. I have come here to build the team and and not results. In India the focus is on cricket but now it is slowly changing towards football. If the boys stick to my philosophy and adopt to my pattern of plan they can create impact in the World Cup against stronger team," de Matos said during a press conference.
He added, "Right now we have a pool of 30 boys and we are looking to recruit more boys if they are good. During the first five weeks we will play friendly matches with the local teams and assess the strength of the team before we move abroad in Portugal to play competitive matches against stronger team where we will be able to assess the strength of the team.
"The seven months period is good enough to build a team and create an impact."
When asked about his stay here, the new coach said, "I am very happy to be here in Goa where my great grandfather lived and it brought me lots of old memories. It's destiny that has brought me here.
"My parents always spoke to me about Goa and during Christmas in Portugal we have fish and curry even though it's not tradition. I cannot forget the curry and it brought me tears in my eyes when I had it."
Falcao, 35, left Galatasaray earlier in the week after an injury-plagued two-year spell in Turkey.
The former Barcelona, Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain player's advisers told the club his training boycott would continue until his outstanding salary was paid, Belmonte revealed.
A spokesperson for Munich regional court told AFP subsidiary SID that both Boateng's lawyer and the state prosecutor have contested the verdict.