Associate Partner

I-League roundup: Mohun Bagan salvage late point against Mumbai FC, Bengaluru FC held again

Kolkata: Balwant Singh scored at the death to salvage a 2-2 draw for Mohun Bagan against Mumbai FC in an I-League football tie at the Rabindra Sarovar Stadium in Kolkata on Wednesday.

Pritam Kotal (12th) gave Bagan the lead but Thoi Singh (20th), Victorino Fernandes (22nd) wrested back the advantage to almost pull off an upset before Balwant (89th) headed in at the back post from a delectable Sony Norde cross.

 I-League roundup: Mohun Bagan salvage late point against Mumbai FC, Bengaluru FC held again

File photo of Mohun Bagan players. Twitter

The result saw Bagan, third in the standings, move to 22 points from 11 games, seven adrift of surprise leaders Aizawl FC who are 29 from 13 outings. East Bengal are second with 27 in their kitty from 13 matches.

Mumbai, at the opposite end of the spectrum, lifted themselves off the foot of the table with the stalemate, having 10 points from 13 games.

It took Mohun Bagan twelve minutes to take the lead. Norde's corner was flicked on by Yusa Katsumi to Pritam Kotal who had ghosted inside the box to volley into the roof of the net.

But their joy was short lived when Mumbai scored twice in two minutes. While the first goal came out of nowhere, the second was due to a defensive error.

Pratesh Shirodkar's attempt was tapped in by an alert Thoi with the ball ballooning over Debjit Mazumdar and nestling into the back of the net.

Two minutes later, the Bagan defence was caught napping as Victorino sneaked in between Anas Edathodika and Eduardo Ferreira to turn in Clyde Fernandes' cross.

There was a surprise substitution for the away side as Clyde made way for Chinta Rao in what looked like a defensive shuffle.

At the half hour mark, Mumbai could have added insult to injury had Baljit converted Shirodkar's cross from close.

Bagan's woes were compounded when Debjit picked up a knock which was bad enough for him to not be able to continue. He was replaced by Shilton Paul after play was stopped for sometime as he was being treated on the field.

There was drama after an hour of play when Kattimani illegally handled a back pass from seasoned campaigner Mehrajuddin Wadoo inside the box with the referee awarding the hosts an indirect free kick. There was no joy from it as Mumbai lived to fight another day.

Bagan had a gilt-edged chance to level things as Balwant found the post from a lofted Anas pass.

Jeje Lalpekhlua soon after had another good chance as he stayed onside but instead of pulling the trigger cushioned the ball for Balwant who could not get on the end of it.

Bagan's efforts paid off finally when Balwant nodded in Norde's sublime cross at the far post leaving Kattimani stranded.

Bengaluru fail to break Chennai, held to 1-1 draw

Defending champions Bengaluru FC had to settle for their fifth draw of the season as they were held by top division newcomers Chennai City FC 1-1 in an I-League tie in Chennai on Wednesday.

Chennai took the lead when John Johnson (53rd minute) scored an own goal but Daniel Lalhlimpuia (58th) saved the defending champions the blushes by restoring parity.

Bengaluru had Chennai on the ropes from the start when Mandar Rao Desai saw his header from a cross kept out by Karanjit Singh in the fourth minute.

Daniel then had a shot on target kept out by Chennai goalkeeper Celesitine Echezona as the visitors attacked from all over the pitch. Bengaluru striker Sunil Chhetri too saw an attempt on goal from an Udanta cutback saved.

But despite all of Bengaluru's authority on the game, it was Chennai who found themselves in the lead when Johnson headed a seemingly harmless cross from Nandhakumar on the right and watched in horror as it flew past goalkeeper Arindam Bhattacharya and into the net.

A quick response was what Bengaluru needed and they found one within five minutes of conceding. Sent on a chase he went down the right, Udanta's cross was pushed away by Chennai custodian Karanjit Singh. But the ball fell at Daniel's feet and the striker calmly shot home the equaliser.

Sensing the need to build on the momentum, Bengaluru coach Albert Roca brought on striker Marjan Jugovic for Mandar Rao Dessai as the visitors relentlessly pressed for a second goal. They came agonisingly close in the 63rd minute when Juanan saw a header from a corner saved off the line by Chennai City defender Debabrata Roy.

Nishu Kumar then saw two delightful low crosses roll across the face of the goal with no Bengaluru player close enough to get a foot on them. Looking to shake things up a little, Roca made his final two changes in quick succession, replacing Cameron Watson and Daniel with Eugeneson Lyngdoh and CK Vineeth.

Bengaluru then had a shout for handball turned down deep into injury time but their best chance of the half came when Lyngdoh's looped free-kick into the area was nodded into a dangerous area for Dharmaraj Ravanan to clear off the line in what was to be the last action of the night.

The Great Diwali Discount!
Unlock 75% more savings this festive season. Get Moneycontrol Pro for a year for Rs 289 only.
Coupon code: DIWALI. Offer valid till 10th November, 2019 .

Updated Date: Mar 08, 2017 23:09:25 IST