Having retired earlier, Conor McGregor announces return to UFC with fight set for January

McGregor hasn't fought since losing by submission to Khabib Nurmagomedov in October 2018. He was banned for six months and fined $50,000 for his part in a post-fight brawl.

The Associated Press October 24, 2019 18:14:00 IST
Having retired earlier, Conor McGregor announces return to UFC with fight set for January
  • McGregor said he is targeting two more fights, including a rematch with Nurmagomedov in Moscow.

  • After the January fight, McGregor said he would then like to fight the winner of Nate Diaz and Jorge Masvidal

  • McGregor's return comes as he faces more legal issues

Moscow: Conor McGregor will return to mixed martial arts in January with a UFC fight in Las Vegas. The Irish fighter said Thursday he will return "fully focused" on 18 January at the T-Mobile Arena.

Having retired earlier Conor McGregor announces return to UFC with fight set for January

File image of Conor McGregor and Khabib Nurmagomedov. Reuters

"That is my comeback fight. It is 12 weeks this Saturday. I am in prime physical condition. I have agreed the date with the company," McGregor said, adding that he knows his opponent's name but won't reveal it. "If I was to give you people the name, which I would love to do, I know the UFC would flip it because they are a crafty company."

The 31-year-old McGregor hasn't fought since losing by submission to Khabib Nurmagomedov in October 2018. He was banned for six months and fined $50,000 for his part in a post-fight brawl.

McGregor said he is targeting two more fights, including a rematch with Nurmagomedov in Moscow. He also aimed a string of insults at the Russian fighter.

After the 18 January fight, McGregor said he would then like to fight the winner of the 3 November bout between Nate Diaz and Jorge Masvidal, followed by either Nurmagomedov or Tony Ferguson.

"I'm going to go through the entire roster like a chainsaw through butter," he said.

McGregor's return comes as he faces more legal issues. He is facing an assault charge in Ireland over an incident in which he appeared to punch a man in a bar.

He said he is planning to abstain from alcohol and late nights in the run-up to his next fight.

"I am focused here," McGregor said. "I am structured now."

Updated Date:

also read

UFC 257: Hurt and heartbroken Conor McGregor ponders future after defeat against Dustin Poirier
Sports

UFC 257: Hurt and heartbroken Conor McGregor ponders future after defeat against Dustin Poirier

The 32-year-old McGregor had been an overwhelming favourite to register a winning return after a year away from the octagon.

UFC star Khabib Nurmagomedov says he doubts that Conor McGregor's MMA retirement is for real
Sports

UFC star Khabib Nurmagomedov says he doubts that Conor McGregor's MMA retirement is for real

"McGregor couldn't reach a deal with the UFC and it's so they feel they've lost him and they could lose money. I don't think he's finished," Nurmagomedov said.

UFC 257: Conor McGregor vows 'masterpiece' in MMA return against Dustin Poirier
Sports

UFC 257: Conor McGregor vows 'masterpiece' in MMA return against Dustin Poirier

McGregor (22-4) was last seen demolishing American welterweight Donald Cerrone (36-15) via a knockout in just 40 seconds at UFC 246 in Las Vegas last January