Govt won't intervene in Sushil-Narsingh tussle, says sports minister Sarbananda Sonowal

Sports Minister Sarbananda Sonowal on Monday ruled out intervention in the Sushil Kumar-Narsingh Yadav selection battle for the Rio Olympics, saying that the matter is for the Wrestling Federation of India to decide.

PTI May 16, 2016 17:18:25 IST
Govt won't intervene in Sushil-Narsingh tussle, says sports minister Sarbananda Sonowal

Patiala: Sports Minister Sarbananda Sonowal on Monday ruled out intervention in the Sushil Kumar-Narsingh Yadav selection battle for the Rio Olympics, saying that the matter is for the Wrestling Federation of India to decide.

The WFI had sought the Ministry's intervention to resolve the raging furore over whether to give the Olympic ticket to Narsingh, who clinched the quota berth, or hold trials to present double Olympic-medallist Sushil a chance in the 74kg category.

Govt wont intervene in SushilNarsingh tussle says sports minister Sarbananda Sonowal

File photo of Sushil Kumar. AP

"Government has nothing to do with it. The Federation, which is an autonomous body, is the final authority. We stood by the national sports code and respect the autonomy of all sports Federations," Sonowal, who is in Patiala on a visit to the NIS to take stock of the Olympic preparations, told PTI.

Narsingh booked the Rio berth at last year's World Championships in Las Vegas. Sushil, on the other hand, had to sit out of the event owing to an injured shoulder.

As per rules, the quota berth is for the country and it was expected that trials would be held to pick between Narsingh and Sushil before the Games.

However, with Narsingh staking his claim for the Olympics, the WFI is in a fix as it fears demands from other wrestlers in the remaining seven weight categories.

Sushil, on his part, has already taken the matter to the doorsteps of Prime Minister's Office.

The 32-year-old has also appealed to the Sports Ministry, IOA, WFI and fans to give him a chance to undergo a trial for the Rio Games.

Updated Date:

also read

Tokyo Olympics 2020: First batch of Indian contingent reaches Japanese capital after rousing send-off
Sports

Tokyo Olympics 2020: First batch of Indian contingent reaches Japanese capital after rousing send-off

On Saturday night, Sports Minister Anurag Thakur gave a formal send-off to the contingent at the Indira Gandhi Airport in New Delhi amid loud cheers, claps and plenty of good wishes.

Tokyo Olympics 2020: Jon Rahm withdraws from Games after testing positive for COVID-19
Sports

Tokyo Olympics 2020: Jon Rahm withdraws from Games after testing positive for COVID-19

Rahm, who stormed to victory at the US Open in June, returned a positive sample after undergoing mandatory testing following his recent participation in the British Open.

Tokyo Olympics 2020: Javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra optimistic about his maiden Games
Sports

Tokyo Olympics 2020: Javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra optimistic about his maiden Games

23-year old Neeraj Chopra was thrust into the limelight after he won Gold in the 2018 Asian Games as well as the Commonwealth Games.