German Open 2021 badminton tournament cancelled owing to coronavirus
The German Badminton Association made the decision 'in consultation and agreement' with the Badminton World Federation (BWF), the sport's global governing body said in a statement.
New Delhi: The upcoming Yonex German Open 2021 was on Thursday cancelled owing to restrictions imposed in view of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The tournament was to be held in Mlheim an der Ruhr from 9-14 March.
The German Badminton Association made the decision "in consultation and agreement" with the Badminton World Federation (BWF), the sport's global governing body said in a statement.
"The ongoing COVID-19 restrictions and complications left local organisers no choice but to cancel the tournament," the BWF added.
The YONEX German Open is a Super 300 tournament on the HSBC BWF World Tour.
The new-look BWF calendar, which was released last December, sees a number of tournaments postponed from first and second quarters of the season, and a handful of Grade 2 tournaments cancelled.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro at ₹499 for the first year. Use code PRO499. Limited period offer. *T&C apply
The coach had been immediately isolated after returning positive for the virus, an official of the National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) told PTI on Sunday.
Sania and her Slovenian partner lost 5-7, 6-2, 5-10 to America's Nicole Melichar and Dutch player Demi Schuurs in one hour and 28 minutes.
It takes the total number of players in the squad to have contracted COVID-19 to 10, massively depleting France coach Fabien Galthie’s options as Les Tricolores go for a third straight win to open the competition.