French tennis chief 'dare not imagine' Roland Garros cancellation amid COVID-19 surge

Moretton said that organisers will be able to take into account lessons learned from other events leading up to the season's second Grand Slam event.

Agence France-Presse April 01, 2021 09:47:28 IST
French tennis chief 'dare not imagine' Roland Garros cancellation amid COVID-19 surge

Rafael Nadal beat Novak Djokovic in straight sets to life his 13th French Open title. AP

Paris: French tennis chief Gilles Moretton told AFP on Wednesday that he "dare not imagine" Roland Garros being cancelled as France continues to struggle to contain COVID-19 .

"At the moment, we are on track, the tournament is on the scheduled date (23 May-6 June)," said Moretton.

"But if we are told a general confinement for two months, we will necessarily have to take measures - the worst being the outright cancellation, but I dare not imagine that."

Daily cases of COVID-19 in France have doubled to around 40,000 and hospitals in infection hotspots like Paris are overflowing.

French President Emmanuel Macron on Wednesday said that schools would close next week and a limited lockdown in place in Paris and other regions would be extended to the whole country to battle soaring COVID-19 cases.

Last year Roland Garros was delayed by four months and held in September and October instead of its longstanding May-June slot.

Crowds were limited to just 1,000 spectators each day.

"We are studying a lot of options for Roland Garros 2021," added Moretton.

"There is the total range, or almost total because I dare not imagine a 100 percent crowd level. 

"But that can start from behind closed doors to a level that will not be 100%. All the options with us are ready. 

"We meet all the players regularly and we wait to see how things will turn out."

Moretton said that organisers will be able to take into account lessons learned from other events leading up to the season's second Grand Slam event.

The Australian Open, which kicked off the majors season in February, forced players into a two-week hotel quarantine.

"Before us, there are other tournaments like Monte Carlo which takes place on the same territory and which is outdoors.

"After there are tournaments not too far away (Madrid, Rome), so we are not like the situation in Australia."

Updated Date:

also read

Elite Hamburg marathon organisers searching for new location after tightening of COVID-19 restrictions
Sports

Elite Hamburg marathon organisers searching for new location after tightening of COVID-19 restrictions

After a tightening of lockdown restrictions in Hamburg, organisers must find an alternative venue for the race, tagged "the fastest way to Tokyo", which was originally due to be held in the city centre.

National boxing coach among 26 athletes and support staff test COVID positive at NIS Patiala
Sports

National boxing coach among 26 athletes and support staff test COVID positive at NIS Patiala

"Out of 380, 26 athletes have tested positive for the virus but the good thing is that they are not Olympic-bound athletes. The positive athletes have been isolated and the entire campus has been sanitised," a SAI source said.

US Open champion Dominic Thiem says he's 'not 100 percent yet', will skip Monte Carlo Masters
Sports

US Open champion Dominic Thiem says he's 'not 100 percent yet', will skip Monte Carlo Masters

Thiem lost in the last 16 of the Australian Open in February and suffered early exits at both Doha and Dubai.