Formula One to introduce 'halo' cockpit protection system from 2018 season, according to FIA

The FIA said in a statement that it had tested a large number devices over the past five years and it had 'become clear that the halo presents the best overall safety performance'.

Reuters July 20, 2017 13:25:34 IST
Formula One to introduce 'halo' cockpit protection system from 2018 season, according to FIA

London: Formula One will introduce the 'halo' cockpit protection system from next year, the sport's governing body, the FIA, said on Wednesday.

The FIA said in a statement that it had tested a large number devices over the past five years and it had "become clear that the halo presents the best overall safety performance".

The decision to implement the 'halo' comes less than a week after a transparent cockpit 'shield' was tested for the first time on track at Silverstone last Friday in British Grand Prix practice.

Formula One to introduce halo cockpit protection system from 2018 season according to FIA

Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel said the transparent open canopy made him feel dizzy during the British Grand Prix. (AP Photo)

Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel said the transparent open canopy made him feel dizzy.

Cockpit protection has become a priority since the deaths of drivers in other series after being hit by wheels and flying debris.

The 'halo', which is fixed at three points including a central pillar in front of the driver that supports a protective loop above his head, was extensively tested last season with a mixed response. The appearance of the device also drew criticism.

The FIA said in January the net safety benefit had been established but a decision needed to be made about the aesthetics and whether such a system was right for Formula One.

The FIA said in Wednesday's statement that certain features of the halo's design would be further enhanced with the support of the teams.

Updated Date:

also read

Sardegna Open: Lorenzo Musetti saves four match points to beat top-seeded Daniel Evans
Sports

Sardegna Open: Lorenzo Musetti saves four match points to beat top-seeded Daniel Evans

The 90th-ranked Musetti won through 6-1, 1-6, 7-6 (10/8) after two hours ten minutes on court in Sardinia against Evans, ranked 32.

Former Indian table tennis player Suhas Kulkarni passes away aged 68 after succumbing to COVID-19
Sports

Former Indian table tennis player Suhas Kulkarni passes away aged 68 after succumbing to COVID-19

According to a media release, Kulkarni succumbed to COVID-19 and was earlier admitted for treatment to the Kaushalya Hospital.

Jerwin Ancajas overcomes Jonathan Rodriguez in hard-fought win to retain IBF junior bantamweight title
Sports

Jerwin Ancajas overcomes Jonathan Rodriguez in hard-fought win to retain IBF junior bantamweight title

The 29-year-old Ancajas had to reach into his full bag of tricks to beat the Mexican, with the three judges scoring 117-110, 116-111 and 115-112 in the Filipino's favor at the Mohegan Sun Casino in Norwich, Connecticut.