Formula One is sport, not spectacle, says Ferrari, threatens to pull out if it goes in the 'direction of Nascar'

F1 owners Liberty Media had last week set out a five-point blueprint for the future of the sport — control of budgets and revenues, a new structure for governance, sporting and technical rules, engines, and overall costs

AFP April 14, 2018 17:09:57 IST
Formula One is sport, not spectacle, says Ferrari, threatens to pull out if it goes in the 'direction of Nascar'

Rome: Ferrari warned on Friday that it wouldn't hestitate to pull the plug on Formula One if the world championship became more like Nascar, insisting it cherishes sport, "not a spectacle".

"If F1 becomes more of a spectacle than a sport, if we go in the direction of Nascar races (in the United States), then Ferrari will leave," Ferrari chief executive Sergio Marchionne told a shareholders' meeting in Amsterdam, as quoted by Italian media. "If there are any proposals that distort F1, I think Ferrari will pull out... we are working with Liberty Media to find acceptable solutions."

Last week on the sidelines of the Bahrain Grand Prix, F1 owners Liberty Media set out a five-point blueprint for the future of the sport — control of budgets and revenues, a new structure for governance, sporting and technical rules, engines, and overall costs.

Formula One is sport not spectacle says Ferrari threatens to pull out if it goes in the direction of Nascar

Representational image. AP

The budget cap of around $150 million, which may cause Ferrari to consider its commitment to the sport, is due to be introduced as part of the package from 2021. "We had a proposal from Liberty 10 days ago, we expect to know the details and then we will make choices in the interest of Ferrari," Marchionne said on Friday.

"We could look for alternative solutions, it's not a threat, but it does not mean we stop shopping," he added, referring to limited interest in the Formula E series. "Some people want a less technological approach, but we and Mercedes have the will to maintain a high standard," he added.

When the Liberty plan was put to team owners in Bahrain, world champions Mercedes said it was a "good starting point, but more details are needed". "I think I am taking a positive view because now we know what Liberty's vision for the future is — and it is a good starting point," said Mercedes team chief Toto Wolff.

Wolff said Mercedes' budget was "more around $250 million" and a compromise was needed. Red Bull team boss Christian Horner said he hoped to see the plan finalised within "a couple of months".

"The bottom line is this is going to have a much bigger effect on three or four teams running at the front of the grid," he said. "The guys from P4 downwards are potentially going to get a lot of upside. So you should see some fairly happy faces down that end of the paddock."

Williams was one of the happiest. "I came back thinking let's crack open some champagne. Personally, I'm delighted at the proposals they laid down," said the Williams chief. "It was an extremely good day for a team like ours. I'm sure some people aren't going to be very happy. There's always going to be winners and losers in this situation. Sometimes it's about compromise if we're to protect the future health of this sport. If we can get these new regulations then I know that Williams' future is safe."

Williams boss Claire Williams, however, declared she felt it was "time to crack open the champagne" for a plan which also promises a fairer distribution of income from top to bottom of the grid.

Updated Date:

Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro at ₹499 for the first year. Use code PRO499. Limited period offer. *T&C apply

also read

Formula 1 2021: Fernando Alonso in 'best shape' of career as he prepares for F1 return
Sports

Formula 1 2021: Fernando Alonso in 'best shape' of career as he prepares for F1 return

Fernando Alonso said he was in the "best shape I've ever been before, both physically and mentally," following the virtual Alpine 2021 car launch in Britain.

Formula 1 2021: Haas driver Nikita Mazepin says he's not proud of video showing him groping a woman
Sports

Formula 1 2021: Haas driver Nikita Mazepin says he's not proud of video showing him groping a woman

While Nikita Mazepin said he took full responsibility for the incident where he was filmed groping a woman, he didn't say if he has apologised to the woman

Formula 1 confirms Portuguese Grand Prix will fill the vacant 2 May slot
Sports

Formula 1 confirms Portuguese Grand Prix will fill the vacant 2 May slot

The Portimao circuit, in the Algarve, will host a Grand Prix for the second time in its history.