Formula 1: Two-time champion Fernando Alonso willing to return in 2021, says former Renault Flavio Briatore

Alonso left Formula One at the end of 2018 but is seen as a possible replacement for Australian Daniel Ricciardo, who is moving to McLaren in 2021.

Reuters May 19, 2020 10:37:47 IST
Formula 1: Two-time champion Fernando Alonso willing to return in 2021, says former Renault Flavio Briatore

London: Two-times world champion Fernando Alonso is ready for a Formula One comeback, his long-time adviser and former Renault team boss Flavio Briatore has said amid increasing speculation about a return to Renault.

The 38-year-old Spaniard left Formula One at the end of 2018 but is seen as a possible replacement for Australian Daniel Ricciardo, who is moving to McLaren in 2021.

Formula 1 Twotime champion Fernando Alonso willing to return in 2021 says former Renault Flavio Briatore

File image of Fernando Alonso. AFP

“Fernando is motivated. A year away from Formula One has done him good. He has detoxed himself and I see him calmer and ready to return,” Briatore, who left Renault in 2009 after a race-fixing scandal, told Italy’s Gazzetta dello Sport.

Renault are expected to take their time before making any driver announcement, with the 2020 season yet to start due to COVID-19 .

Four-times world champion Sebastian Vettel is also available after Ferrari announced the German would be leaving at the end of the year.

Alonso won his titles with Renault in 2005 and 2006 to end seven-times champion Michael Schumacher’s long reign.

He moved to McLaren for a tumultuous 2007 season alongside a rookie Lewis Hamilton but returned to Renault for 2008 and 2009 before moving to Ferrari and then back to McLaren in 2015.

The two-times Le Mans 24 Hours winner has made the Indianapolis 500 his main target this year in a bid to become only the second man after the late Graham Hill to complete the ‘Triple Crown of Motorsport’.

The Spaniard turns 40 next year but former Ferrari team mate and 2007 champion Kimi Raikkonen is that age already and still racing with Alfa Romeo.

Renault finished fifth overall last year but represent Alonso’s best, and possibly only, chance of a comeback.

Ferrari and Red Bull have put an emphasis on youth while Mercedes look sure to reach a new deal with six-times world champion Hamilton.

Mercedes are the only F1 team with both drivers over 30 and the champions are more likely to go for a youngster like George Russell, now at Williams, should they replace Valtteri Bottas. Hamilton looks sure to stay.

McLaren boss Zak Brown told Sky Sports television that he saw Alonso to Renault as a ‘bit of a no-brainer’.

“I think he’s undecided, and if I was running Renault, that’s who I’d put in the car: big name, fast as anyone, won two championships with them, so he’s got history,” said the American, who spoke to Alonso recently.

Brown said Alonso would jump at the chance to win again but might be less interested in a team still some way off.

Updated Date:

also read

Formula 1 2021: Mercedes team chief Toto Wolff predicts 'dog fight' in Bahrain
Sports

Formula 1 2021: Mercedes team chief Toto Wolff predicts 'dog fight' in Bahrain

Defending seven-time champion Lewis Hamilton was only third in hot, dry and windy conditions at the Bahrain International Circuit on Friday, beaten by both Max Vertstappen and Lando Norris

Formula 1 2021: Sebastian Vettel 'upset and angry' after lowly finish on Aston Martin debut
Sports

Formula 1 2021: Sebastian Vettel 'upset and angry' after lowly finish on Aston Martin debut

The four-time world champion Vettel, who joined the Aston Villa team this year after leaving Ferrari, failed to make the cut from Q1 and struggled to make an impression.

Formula 1 2021: Max Verstappen claims pole for season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix
Sports

Formula 1 2021: Max Verstappen claims pole for season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix

Verstappen earned his fourth career pole to deny Hamilton his 99th, edging out the world champion by .39 seconds on his final attempt.