Formula 1: Thailand's Alex Albon rewarded for impressive performances with Red Bull second driver spot for 2020 season
Alex Albon — who will play second fiddle to the audacious Max Verstappen — sits in sixth spot overall with 84 points ahead of this weekend's Brazilian Grand Prix
Thailand's Alex Albon said Tuesday he is ready to fight at the front in 2020 for top Formula One team Red Bull after they rewarded him for a series of impressive performances by naming him on a permanent basis as their second driver
Albon Ã¢ï¿½ï¿½ who will play second fiddle to the audacious Max Verstappen Ã¢ï¿½ï¿½ sits in sixth spot overall with 84 points ahead of this weekend's Brazilian Grand Prix
Christian Horner, Red Bull's long-standing racing principal, looked forward to developing Albon's potential
London: Thailand's Alex Albon said Tuesday he is ready to "fight at the front in 2020" for top Formula One team Red Bull after they rewarded him for a series of impressive performances by naming him on a permanent basis as their second driver.
The 23-year-old — in England to an English father and Thai mother — began the season with their junior sister team Toro Rosso but seized his chance when Red Bull offered him the senior drive in the second-half of the campaign by finishing in the top six in all seven races accruing 68 points.
Albon — who will play second fiddle to the audacious Max Verstappen — sits in sixth spot overall with 84 points ahead of this weekend's Brazilian Grand Prix.
"This year has been an incredible year for me and getting the call up to Red Bull mid-season was already a big step. So now I will use the learnings from this season and use the experience to improve and fight at the front in 2020," he said in a statement on the team website.
Albon, who replaced Frenchman Pierre Gasly as second driver to Verstappen for the second part of the campaign leaving the former "stunned", added he was grateful Red Bull had placed their faith in him.
"I am really excited to be partnering Max again for next year and I know how fortunate I am to be given this opportunity," said Albon, whose best finish so far for Red Bull was fourth in the Japanese Grand Prix.
"I'm hugely thankful that Red Bull have put their trust in me and believed in my results since I joined the Team and for them to keep me in the car next year is a big deal."
Christian Horner, Red Bull's long-standing racing principal, looked forward to developing Albon's potential.
"Alex has performed extremely well since his debut with the Team in Belgium and his results –- seven finishes in the top-six –- speak for themselves," said Horner.
"It's extremely hard to deny that level of consistency and in tandem with a growing reputation as a tenacious, fiercely committed racer, Alex has proved that he fully deserves to continue his progress with Aston Martin Red Bull Racing. There is plenty of potential still to unlock and we look forward to seeing Alex alongside Max in 2020."
For Gasly, also 23, there is the consolation of being retained by Toro Rosso for next year.
The Frenchman had been unwilling to discuss the reasons for his demotion which came prior to the Belgian race at the end of August, or the performance gap between him and Verstappen, who had out-qualified and out-raced him 11-1 in the opening 12 races, scoring 181 points to his 63.
However, he clearly had not expected it.
"It was kind of a shock that it happened," he said.
"It was not what I had been told before Budapest (the race preceding the Belgian GP). I think everything was pretty clear and discussed over the last few weeks."
Ramkumar had won his maiden ATP Challenger title in Manama, Bahrain in November last year and regained his position in the top-200.
Brendan Taylor says he faces multi-year ICC ban for failing to report corrupt approach by Indian bookie
In a detailed confession on social media, Taylor claimed that he was invited by the businessman to India to discuss "sponsorships" and potential launch of a T20 event in Zimbabwe besides an offer of $15,000 in October, 2019. He did not name the businessman in question.
‘No silver bullet’ for domestic cricket, says ECB after demands of complete overhaul following Ashes debacle
ECB CEO Tom Harrison called for a red-ball "reset" to help Joe Root's Test team, who recently slumped to a 4-0 series defeat in Australia