Formula 1: Michael Schumacher named most influential person in race history in fan poll

Seven-time world champion and Ferrari great Schumacher defeated former chief of Formula 1 Bernie Ecclestone in the poll.

FP Trending May 14, 2020 17:31:27 IST
Formula 1: Michael Schumacher named most influential person in race history in fan poll

Michael Schumacher has been named as the most influential person in Formula 1 history, garnering the maximum number of votes from fans on the sport’s official website.

The result was announced on 13 May that celebrated the 70th anniversary of the first Formula 1 World Championship Grand Prix at Silverstone in 1950.

Formula 1 Michael Schumacher named most influential person in race history in fan poll

File image of Michael Schumacher. AFP

Seven-time world champion and Ferrari great Schumacher defeated former chief of Formula 1 Bernie Ecclestone in the poll. Schumacher bagged 61 percent votes, while Ecclestone secured the remaining 39 percent votes.

In the earlier rounds of the tournament, Schumacher beat champions Niki Lauda, Ayrton Senna, and Juan Manuel Fangio Enzo Ferrari.

Formula 1 also tweeted about Schumacher's win and wrote, "He's no stranger to winning. You've voted Michael Schumacher as the most influential person in #F1 history."


Schumacher holds the record for titles and race wins (91). However, six times champion Lewis Hamilton is nearing both the records of the German driver.

Schumacher not been seen in public after he suffered serious head injuries in 2013 in a ski accident.

The voting or the poll began about 10 days ago when Formula 1 asked an expert panel to come up with 32 names of people who have had a great influence on the sports in the last seven decades.

There were four categories - drivers, team bosses, technical innovators, and game changers. Each category had eight names.

Formula One said thousands of fans had participated in the voting.

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Former Formula 1 driver Alex Zanardi showing 'signs of interaction', say doctors
Sports

Former Formula 1 driver Alex Zanardi showing 'signs of interaction', say doctors

In a statement, the San Raffaele hospital in Milan said the 53-year-old "responds with transient and initial signs of interaction with the environment" to visual and acoustic stimuli.

Formula 1 2020: Lewis Hamilton grabs Russian GP pole, inches closer to Michael Schumacher’s all-time record
Sports

Formula 1 2020: Lewis Hamilton grabs Russian GP pole, inches closer to Michael Schumacher’s all-time record

Hamilton's Mercedes teammate, Valtteri Bottas, was beaten into third by Verstappen's fast run at the end of the session and was .652 off Hamilton's time.

Formula 1 2020: Lewis Hamilton tops final practice at Russian Grand Prix ahead of Mercedes teammate Valtteri Bottas
Sports

Formula 1 2020: Lewis Hamilton tops final practice at Russian Grand Prix ahead of Mercedes teammate Valtteri Bottas

Hamilton clocked a best lap of 1min 33.279sec to beat Bottas by seven-tenths with Carlos Sainz third for McLaren, eight-tenths off the pace.