Formula 1 2020: Melbourne's major events chief hopeful of Australian GP going ahead, but can't say with 'certainty'

Melbourne’s major events chief is confident the Australian Formula One Grand Prix will go ahead as scheduled next week but said he could offer no firm guarantees because of the dynamic nature of the coronavirus epidemic.

Reuters March 04, 2020 14:24:36 IST
Formula 1 2020: Melbourne's major events chief hopeful of Australian GP going ahead, but can't say with 'certainty'
  • Albert Park is already undergoing its annual transformation from inner city oasis to racetrack for the 15 March season-opener despite the health crisis

  • MotoGP cancelled its opening round in Qatar after the Gulf state imposed quarantine on visitors arriving from Italy

  • F1 official Ross Brawn said that a world championship race would not go ahead in a country that denies access to any team citing coronavirus

Melbourne: Melbourne’s major events chief is confident the Australian Formula One Grand Prix will go ahead as scheduled next week but said he could offer no firm guarantees because of the dynamic nature of the coronavirus epidemic.

Albert Park is already undergoing its annual transformation from inner city oasis to racetrack for the 15 March season-opener despite the health crisis that has caused the cancellation of scores of events around the Asia-Pacific.

Formula 1 2020 Melbournes major events chief hopeful of Australian GP going ahead but cant say with certainty

Representational photo. AP

“All of the indications from Formula One management are that they are planning for the Grand Prix to go ahead,” Martin Pakula, minister for tourism, sport and major events in the Victoria state government, told reporters on Wednesday.

“The set-up is already occurring, we would be expecting machinery and teams to be arriving from today through to the end of the weekend. So we are almost at the point where everybody is going to be here within the next few days.

“But having said that, I recognise the situation is extremely dynamic and to some extent there are matters that are out of control. There are decisions made by the (government) or might be made overseas.

“I’m very hopeful and confident but I can’t say anything about it with absolute certainty.” The Chinese Grand Prix scheduled for Shanghai on 19 April has been called off as a result of the virus, which emerged in the central Chinese province of Hubei late last year.

MotoGP cancelled its opening round in Qatar after the Gulf state imposed quarantine on visitors arriving from Italy.

The inaugural Vietnam round of the championship, scheduled for 5 April, is under threat after it imposed quarantine periods on anyone who has come from, or been in, Italy during a two-week period prior to entry.

Italy, home to Formula One powerhouse Ferrari, is one of the countries most affected by the epidemic with more than 50 deaths and more than 2,000 confirmed cases.

Formula One’s motorsport managing director, Ross Brawn, told Reuters on Tuesday that a world championship race would not go ahead in a country that denies access to any team due to coronavirus restrictions.

Australia has reported 42 cases of the coronavirus — the bulk of those evacuees from a cruise ship docked in Japan — and just three cases of local transmission, where people who had not left the country were infected.

Australia has imposed border controls on visitors from China and anyone who has been to Iran in the previous two weeks, but there are no restrictions on those travelling from Italy.

Updated Date:

also read

Pep Guardiola tests positive amid Manchester City Covid outbreak but FA Cup ties unaffected
Sports

Pep Guardiola tests positive amid Manchester City Covid outbreak but FA Cup ties unaffected

Another of Guardiola's assistants, Rodolfo Borrell, is set to take charge of the English champions.

Mumbai Cricket Association shuts office for three days after 15 staff members test positive for COVID-19
First Cricket News

Mumbai Cricket Association shuts office for three days after 15 staff members test positive for COVID-19

"The staff members have tested positive for COVID-19, following which we have closed the office for three days from today," an MCA source told.

Formula 1: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix inquiry decision set for 18 March
Sports

Formula 1: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix inquiry decision set for 18 March

Hamilton was poised to capture a record-breaking eighth world title at the Abu Dhabi finale in December before a controversial safety car restart allowed Verstappen to pass the British driver on the last lap.