Formula 1 2020: Lewis Hamilton continuing a ‘no-brainer’, but no rush over new contract, says Mercedes’ Toto Wolff

Hamilton said after last week's season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix that he wanted to get his deal 'tied up before Christmas'.

Agence France-Presse December 19, 2020 09:11:43 IST
Formula 1 2020: Lewis Hamilton continuing a ‘no-brainer’, but no rush over new contract, says Mercedes’ Toto Wolff

Lewis Hamilton, who clinched his seventh world title last month, is not yet tied to Mercedes for the next season. AP

London: Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has described a new contract for Lewis Hamilton as a "no-brainer" but insisted on Friday there was no hurry for the world champion to sign on the dotted line.

The British driver claimed his seventh world title last month — equalling Michael Schumacher's record — and sixth in seven years with Mercedes, but is not yet tied to the team for 2021.

Mercedes teased that a deal would be confirmed imminently, with a tweet on Thursday carrying the hashtag "announce'" and a quote from Hamilton emphasising his desire to stay with the team.

There has so far been no update, but Wolff said: "He is on the top of his game and he will be for a while, so that is why continuing together is a no-brainer.

"We always prioritised the championship and not being distracted by sometimes difficult discussions, as is the nature of negotiation.

"And then Covid struck (Hamilton missed the Sakhir Grand Prix in Bahrain after testing positive for the virus) so it has delayed us a bit, but we are not worried in eventually getting it done.

"We are not putting a special date on it. Sooner or later it needs to be done and the latest is when we go testing next year."

Hamilton said after last week's season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix that he wanted to get his deal "tied up before Christmas".

Pre-season testing is due to take place in early March, most likely in Barcelona.

Ineos share

Mercedes announced earlier on Friday that Wolff had extended his role as team principal and chief executive for a further three years.

The Formula One team also announced that chemicals giant Ineos was taking a one-third share in the team alongside parent company Daimler and Wolff.

Ineos, owned by British billionaire Jim Ratcliffe, will be an equal partner in the team. Daimler will reduce its current 60 percent shareholding and Wolff will increase his current 30 percent.

Ineos, which has a growing sports portfolio including football, cycling and sailing interests, was announced as Mercedes' principal partner earlier this year.

"Big challenges are a core part of our mindset at Ineos and our involvement across a number of different sports demonstrates that we always aim for the very best," said Ineos chairman Ratcliffe.

"When we entered Formula One earlier this year, we chose to do so with a Mercedes team that had set new benchmarks, and since then we have been in discussions about how we could increase our involvement."

Wolff said: "This new investment from Ineos confirms that the business case for Formula One teams is robust and sends an important signal of confidence in the sport after a challenging year."

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Poco confirms the launch Poco F2 in 2021; expected to be powered by Snapdragon 732G chipset
News & Analysis

Poco confirms the launch Poco F2 in 2021; expected to be powered by Snapdragon 732G chipset

Along with a 120 Hz refresh rate, the phone is likely to feature an AMOLED display and come with quad-camera setup at the back.

Formula 1: Australia, China Grand Prix postponed as COVID-19 hits 2021 calendar
Sports

Formula 1: Australia, China Grand Prix postponed as COVID-19 hits 2021 calendar

The Australian race, usually the season-opener, was delayed from March to November, but no new date was set for the Chinese Grand Prix, normally held in April.

Formula 1: FIA planning to postpone Australian, Chinese Grands Prix due to COVID-19 pandemic, say reports
Sports

Formula 1: FIA planning to postpone Australian, Chinese Grands Prix due to COVID-19 pandemic, say reports

The Italian circuit of Imola, which returned last year as the calendar was hastily rearranged in the face of the pandemic, is expected to fill China's slot, AFP learned on Monday, confirming information from several specialised media.