Formula 1 2020: Hockenheim to not host German Grand Prix in 2020, confirms circuit manager

Hockenheim was ready to step in if British quarantine restrictions prevented Silverstone from hosting a Formula One race and so long as it was commercially viable.

Reuters July 24, 2020 00:17:25 IST
Formula 1 2020: Hockenheim to not host German Grand Prix in 2020, confirms circuit manager

London: Hockenheim will not host a Formula One race this year after being mooted as a possible stand-in on a calendar ravaged by the COVID-19 pandemic, the German circuit’s manager Jorn Teske said on Thursday.

Teske told Reuters that a crowd ban had been a sticking point, with Formula One hoping to allow spectators back later in the year after the championship started this month behind closed doors.

“A decision was taken after weeks and months talking to Formula One,” he said. “At the end they decided not to come to us. So all efforts came to nothing, but that’s life.”

Teske had said in May that Hockenheim was ready to step in if British quarantine restrictions prevented Silverstone from hosting a Formula One race and so long as it was commercially viable.

Silverstone is hosting races on back-to-back weekends starting on 2 August but Hockenheim, whose German Grand Prix was not on the original 2020 calendar, had continued the talks.

“When we started our discussions it was always about a race without fans,” said Teske.

“And a little bit later in the process the question was raised if there was a chance to get fans to Hockenheimring.

“They (Formula One) expressed to us that they are interested in having fans at all European races beginning from September or October. If this becomes true, I don’t know,” he added. “We have the regulations in place and we cannot change this.”

Russian Grand Prix organisers have said spectators will be allowed to attend their 27 September race in Sochi, but Hockenheim’s Baden-Wuerttemberg state authorities have a ban on mass gatherings until October.

The sport, whose season finally started in Austria this month, cancelled the Australian opener in March as well as the showcase Monaco Grand Prix in May and races in France, the Netherlands, Singapore, Japan and Azerbaijan.

The Chinese Grand Prix in Shanghai is expected to be cancelled soon while US, Mexico and Brazil look unlikely due to the spread of the disease.

Formula One has said it remains optimistic about a 15-18 round calendar.

Italy’s Mugello circuit has been scheduled for September, a race that will be Ferrari’s 1,000th, and the country could have a third round with Imola under consideration along with Portugal’s Algarve circuit in Portimao.

Media reports have also suggested Germany’s Nuerburgring could be an option, although weather conditions late in the year could make that tricky.

Updated Date:

also read

Formula 1: Christian Horner slams 'hugely defamatory' claims of Red Bull exceeding 2021 cost cap
Sports

Formula 1: Christian Horner slams 'hugely defamatory' claims of Red Bull exceeding 2021 cost cap

The FIA, which had introduced a budget cap of $145 million last season, backed Horner's statement, calling the paddock rumours "unsubstantiated".

Formula 1: Charles Leclerc grabs Singapore GP pole as furious Max Verstappen qualifies eighth
Sports

Formula 1: Charles Leclerc grabs Singapore GP pole as furious Max Verstappen qualifies eighth

Verstappen, who has a mathematical chance to retain his world title this weekend, had looked set to challenge Leclerc's time on his final flying lap before being told to abandon by his Red Bull team.

Formula 1: Max Verstappen on verge of second world title as F1 returns to Singapore
Sports

Formula 1: Max Verstappen on verge of second world title as F1 returns to Singapore

Max Verstappen opened up a 116-point lead in the drivers' standings over Charles Leclerc following his victory at the Italian Grand Prix.