Formula 1 2020: Chinese Grand Prix likely to be called off amid coronavirus outbreak, say media reports

The Formula One Chinese Grand Prix will not take place as scheduled on 19 April due to the outbreak of the coronavirus, The Times and other media outlets reported.

Reuters February 12, 2020 13:41:51 IST
Formula 1 2020: Chinese Grand Prix likely to be called off amid coronavirus outbreak, say media reports
  • The Formula One Chinese Grand Prix will not take place as scheduled on 19 April due to the outbreak of the coronavirus, The Times and other media outlets reported on Wednesday

  • The flu-like virus has killed over 1,100 people and infected more than 44,000 in China after it first emerged in Wuhan late last year

  • Motor racing’s governing body, the FIA, has said it was closely monitoring the situation in China, with the race at the Shanghai International Circuit slotted in as the fourth round of the 2020 season

Shanghai: The Formula One Chinese Grand Prix will not take place as scheduled on 19 April due to the outbreak of the coronavirus , The Times and other media outlets reported on Wednesday.

Formula 1 2020 Chinese Grand Prix likely to be called off amid <span class=coronavirus outbreak say media reports" width="380" height="285" />

Representational image. Reuters

The flu-like virus has killed over 1,100 people and infected more than 44,000 in China after it first emerged in Wuhan late last year.

Motor racing’s governing body, the FIA, has said it was closely monitoring the situation in China, with the race at the Shanghai International Circuit slotted in as the fourth round of the 2020 season.

The Times also reported that an official announcement was expected later on Wednesday as discussions continued over whether to postpone the race or cancel it altogether.

With a record 22 races scheduled for the 2020 season, it would be difficult to slot a race in China back in at a later date.

The absence of the Chinese event would leave a four-week gap between the Vietnamese Grand Prix on 5 April and the Dutch Grand Prix on 3 May.

A host of international sporting events have been cancelled due to coronavirus , including the all-electric Formula E motor racing series that abandoned plans for a race in the Chinese city of Sanya next month.

Updated Date:

Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro at ₹499 for the first year. Use code PRO499. Limited period offer. *T&C apply

also read

Choice, coercion, or money, what makes eSports players switch games?
Sports

Choice, coercion, or money, what makes eSports players switch games?

There are a variety of reasons that drive eSports players to change the game they play professionally. Here's an attempt to analyse some of those.

Qatar Open to go ahead as scheduled despite rising COVID-19 cases, high-profile withdrawals
Sports

Qatar Open to go ahead as scheduled despite rising COVID-19 cases, high-profile withdrawals

Qatar has pressed ahead with events despite seeing an uptick in virus cases, staging the FIFA Club World Cup earlier this month with stadiums at 30 percent capacity.

PSL 2021: Quetta Gladiators batsman Tom Banton among two foreign players to test positive for COVID-19
First Cricket News

PSL 2021: Quetta Gladiators batsman Tom Banton among two foreign players to test positive for COVID-19

Pakistan Cricket Board's Director of Media Sami Burney had announced on Tuesday that two foreign players and one member of the support staff had tested positive for the virus. This was after Australian leg-spinner Fawad Ahmed tested positive on Monday.