Former World No 1 Andy Murray to finish troubled campaign by playing Chinese tournaments
Former World No 1 Andy Murray, who pulled out of Wimbledon and suffered an early exit in the US Open, will end a troubled year by playing at Shenzen and Beijing, but will miss the events at Paris and Shanghai.
London: Former Wimbledon champion Andy Murray will play two tournaments in China before bringing an end to his troubled campaign.
Murray said on Saturday that he will play in Shenzhen and Beijing, but the former world number one will miss the final two ATP events in Shanghai and Paris. The Scot has struggled with a serious hip injury for more than 12 months and has hardly played in 2018.
Murray underwent surgery in January in a bid to get over the hip problem, but he pulled out of several tournaments, including Wimbledon, because he didn't feel his body would stand up to the strain.
Murray has only able to play one Grand Slam this year, losing in the US Open second round, and his ranking has plunged to 308 in the world. But the 31-year-old hopes that, by adjusting his schedule, he will be in the best possible position to make a strong start to 2019.
"I'm competing in Shenzen and next week in Beijing before calling an end to the year competitively. I'll miss the last couple of tournaments of the year," Murray said in a video posted on his Facebook page.
"I need a long period of training and reconditioning to get myself in the best shape possible for the beginning of the 2019 season and getting myself back competing for the biggest tournaments again. Unfortunately I won't be competing after Asia, but I'm looking forward to getting some hard training done and making some more improvements," Murray added.
"It's been really positive the last few months. I feel like I made big strides forward in the rehab from the hip surgery. I feel that with another strong training period, I'll make some big improvements. Hopefully, the next couple of weeks go well in China, looking forward to it," said the former Wimbledon winner.
French Open 2021: Rafael Nadal says 'no problem' with being seeded third after comfortable win over Alexei Popyrin
Nadal could usurp Roger Federer at the top of the all-time men's list with a 21st Grand Slam singles title in Paris.
The 39-year-old Swiss star was playing in his first Grand Slam since reaching the semi-finals of the Australian Open in 2020, and made it into the last 16 with a gruelling four-set win over Dominik Koepfer on Saturday.
Federer, who underwent two knee surgeries in 2020, and is playing only his third tournament since last year's Australian Open, has always said Wimbledon is his priority this year.