Former South American football chief Nicolas Leoz passes away amidst ongoing investigation into FIFA corruption scandal involvement

Leoz had been under house arrest in Asuncion in connection with the scandal and was suspected of receiving millions of dollars in bribes in exchange for marketing and TV rights for games

Agence France-Presse August 29, 2019 17:02:44 IST
Former South American football chief Nicolas Leoz passes away amidst ongoing investigation into FIFA corruption scandal involvement
  • Former South American football chief Nicolas Leoz, a key suspect in the huge FIFA corruption scandal investigated by the US Justice Department, has died aged 90 in Asuncion, medical sources said

  • Leoz had been under house arrest in Asuncion in connection with the scandal and was suspected of receiving millions of dollars in bribes in exchange for marketing and TV rights for games

  • Forty-two people were indicted in the United States in connection with the FIFA corruption scandal which erupted in 2015 and led to the overthrow disgraced former FIFA president Sepp Blatter

Asuncion: Former South American football chief Nicolas Leoz, a key suspect in the huge FIFA corruption scandal investigated by the US Justice Department, has died aged 90 in Asuncion, medical sources said.

Former South American football chief Nicolas Leoz passes away amidst ongoing investigation into FIFA corruption scandal involvement

File image of Nicolas Leoz. Reuters

The United States had sought to extradite the Paraguayan — one of the most powerful men in South American football — to face trial over alleged bribery and money laundering but his lawyers frustrated all attempts to do so, citing his frail health.

He died of heart failure in hospital on Wednesday, medical sources and local media reported in Paraguay.

Leoz had been under house arrest in Asuncion in connection with the scandal and was suspected of receiving millions of dollars in bribes in exchange for marketing and TV rights for games.

In November 2017, a court in Paraguay ruled that the former president of the Confederation of South American Football (CONMEBOL) could be extradited to face trial in the United States, pending a medical board being set up to evaluate his health.

Leoz, who headed CONMEBOL from 1986 to 2013, had denied any wrongdoing.

The FIFA corruption scandal — the largest graft probe in the history of world football -- led to the conviction and imprisonment of Leoz's successor as CONMEBOL president Juan Angel Napout and former Brazilian FA boss Jose Maria Marin.

Forty-two people were indicted in the United States in connection with the FIFA corruption scandal which erupted in 2015 and led to the overthrow disgraced former FIFA president Sepp Blatter.

Many of those indicted pleaded guilty, although others, such as former FIFA vice-president Jack Warner, managed to avoid extradition.

A former vice president of FIFA and a close ally of Blatter, Leoz was also one of a group of leaders suspected of receiving bribes to support Qatar's successful bid to host the 2022 World Cup.

CONMEBOL filed its own lawsuit against Leoz for breach of trust, criminal association and money laundering, accusing him of diverting more than $110 million from the association's funds to his personal accounts.

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Premier League: Chelsea's Timo Werner confident of being fit in time for Liverpool clash
Sports

Premier League: Chelsea's Timo Werner confident of being fit in time for Liverpool clash

Timo Werner marked his Premier League debut by winning a penalty that Jorginho converted to put Chelsea ahead, but the Germany star took a whack on his leg as he was tripped by Brighton keeper Mat Ryan in the incident.

Sevilla midfielder Ivan Rakitic announces retirement from Croatia national team
Sports

Sevilla midfielder Ivan Rakitic announces retirement from Croatia national team

Rakitic, who did not elaborate on the reasons for the decision, made his debut for Croatia in 2007.

Former FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke tells Swiss trial of struggling 'with no income'
Sports

Former FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke tells Swiss trial of struggling 'with no income'

Valcke said he had struggled "with no income" since losing his job at FIFA in 2015. He said he had to sell his yacht and jewellery, and had been "unable to open a bank account in Europe" since 2017 — he divorced a year later so that his wife could.