Former Olympic champion Roland Schoeman faces extended ban over doping offence
The South African was training to qualify for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics when he tested positive for GW501516 last year.
Lausanne, Switzerland: Former Olympic champion Roland Schoeman appeared by video link Monday at a Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) hearing that could ban him beyond next year's Tokyo Games.
The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) challenged a ruling by swimming governing body FINA to ban the 40-year-old South African for only one year after he tested positive for a black-market doping product.
The court said WADA has requested a ban of two to four years. A verdict is not expected for at least several weeks.
Schoeman competed at four previous Olympics. He won three medals at the 2004 Athens Olympics, including gold in the 4x100-meter freestyle relay.
The South African was training to qualify for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics when he tested positive for GW501516 last year. The substance failed medical trials and led WADA to alert athletes in 2013 that it was a threat to their health.
Schoeman denied doping and blamed contamination of the supplements he was taking.
His ban expired in May but he faces a longer sanction from CAS if he cannot prove the source of the contamination. A possible two-year ban, until May 2021, could still leave time to make South Africa’s team for the postponed Tokyo Olympics.
In a ruling in a similar case on Monday, Australian swimmer Shayna Jack was banned for two years for unintentional doping. An Australian sports tribunal previously recommended a four-year ban.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
Japan has experienced an uptick of the infections this month with a nationwide daily total exceeding 2,000 as the government tries to balance preventive measures and business activity without further hurting the pandemic-hit economy.
South Africa cricketers' association expresses 'despair and disbelief' at administrative chaos ahead of England's visit
The chairman of Cricket South Africa’s interim board, Judge Zak Yacoob, warned earlier that the conflict could discourage England from travelling – although a spokesperson for the England and Wales Cricket Board said he expected the tour to go ahead.
South Africa vs England: Kagiso Rabada reveals 'bizarre' COVID-19 protocols, says ‘training is going smoothly’
Two members of the South African squad have tested positive for COVID since the squad assembled last week and two other players had to go into isolation because of their close contact with one of the infected players.