Former Formula 1 driver and Paralympic champion Alex Zanardi undergoes second brain surgery after handbike accident

Alex Zanardi is an inspirational figure in the worlds of motorsport and Paralympic endeavour, a hugely popular and positive competitor who returned from life-changing injuries with a smile.

Reuters June 30, 2020 08:30:05 IST
Former Formula 1 driver and Paralympic champion Alex Zanardi undergoes second brain surgery after handbike accident

Rome: Former Formula One driver and Paralympic champion Alex Zanardi, seriously injured in a handbike accident 10 days ago, has undergone neurological surgery for a second time, a hospital statement said on Monday.

The Santa Maria alle Scotte hospital in Siena said that the surgery had lasted around two-and-a-half hours and that Zanardi, who suffered severe head injuries in the accident on 19 June, was sedated and intubated in the intensive care unit.

“His condition remains stable from the cardio-respiratory and metabolic point of view, serious from the neurological point of view,” said the statement. Hospital director Roberto Gusinu said that a second surgery had been envisaged by doctors beforehand.

The 53-year-old Italian is an inspirational figure in the worlds of motorsport and Paralympic endeavour, a hugely popular and positive competitor who returned from life-changing injuries with a smile.

He had both legs amputated above the knee, with his heart stopping seven times as he lost all but a litre of the blood in his body, after a horrific crash in a Champ car race at the Lausitzring in Germany in September 2001.

He later turned to paracycling and won a total of four Paralympic gold medals, two each at London in 2012 and Rio de Janeiro in 2016.

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Formula 1 2020: Sebastian Vettel could walk away from sport for good without right offer
Sports

Formula 1 2020: Sebastian Vettel could walk away from sport for good without right offer

Four-time F1 champion Sebastian Vettel says unlike Alonso, his possible exit from the sport after this season wouldn't be temporary.

Formula 1: Mercedes star Lewis Hamilton raises right fist on podium in fight against racism
Sports

Formula 1: Mercedes star Lewis Hamilton raises right fist on podium in fight against racism

Hamilton has spoken out against racism since the death in May of George Floyd — a handcuffed and unarmed Black man — after a police officer pressed his knee on Floyd's neck for nearly eight minutes in May.

Formula 1, Renault look to gain from return of Fernando Alonso who must be ready for test of patience
Sports

Formula 1, Renault look to gain from return of Fernando Alonso who must be ready for test of patience

As Fernando Alonso announces return to Renault and Formula 1, we assess how the key stakeholders would be impacted by the decision.