Football transfer roundup: Toure to Liverpool, Carvalho to Monaco

Meanwhile, Greek international and former Werder Bremen defender Sokratis Pastathopoulos joined Champions League finalists Borussia Dortmund until 2018.

hidden May 29, 2013 13:13:50 IST
Football transfer roundup: Toure to Liverpool, Carvalho to Monaco

TOURE TO LIVERPOOL

Cote d'Ivoire defender Kolo Toure has reached an agreement with English Premier League side Liverpool that he will join the team when his contract with Manchester City expires on 1 July.

The 32-year-old Toure joined City from Arsenal in 2009 and was joined at the club by his younger brother Yaya Toure a year later, reports Xinhua.

Kolo Toure had been banned for six months in 2011 as he failed a drug test and lost his place at City. He claimed he had taken diet pills belonging to his wife and did not know they contained banned substances.

CARVALHO SIGNS FOR BIG-SPENDING MONACO

Former Real Madrid defender Ricardo Carvalho signed a contract to join big-spending French side AS Monaco.

Football transfer roundup Toure to Liverpool Carvalho to Monaco

Toure has reached an agreement with Liverpool that he will join the team when his contract with City expires. Getty Images

Carvalho arrives for nothing after the end of the third season of the 35-year-old's contract with Real Madrid and he has agreed on a one year deal with the option of a second year, reports Xinhua.

The central defender has also played for Porto and Chelsea and will bring a wealth of experience to the club which has just returned to France's Ligue 1.

Carvalho is the third new arrival at Monaco at the end of the current season and will join Porto duo Joao Moutinho and James Rodriguez, who arrived for a total fee of 70 million euros.

The trio will soon be joined by Atletico Madrid's Colombian striker Radamel Falcao, who is on the verge of signing a four or five-year contract with the club. Falcao is expected to cost Monaco a further 60 million euros as the club, which is coached by the experienced Claudio Ranieri, looks to challenge Paris Saint-Germain.

PASTATHOPOULOS JOINS DORTMUND

Greek international and former Werder Bremen defender Sokratis Pastathopoulos joined league rivals Borussia Dortmund until 2018.

The 24-year-old centre-back agreed to put pen-to-paper Tuesday for a five-year deal with Champions League finalist Dortmund.

"We are pleased that Sokratis opted for Borussia Dortmund. He is flexible and can play on various position of the defence. Besides we see great potential in him," Dortmund's director of sport Michael Zorc said.

DORTMUND'S SANTANA HEADED TO SCHALKE

Dortmund's defender Felipe Santana joined rival club Schalke, signing a three-year deal.

Schalke reinforce their defence when they signed the centre-back Tuesday until 2016 to replace retired Christoph Metzelder, reports Xinhua.

Santana joined Dortmund from Brazilian side Figueirense in 2008. Since then he has scored six goals in 95 appearances for the BVB. In addition, he won the Bundesliga titles in 2011 and 2012, as well as the DFB Pokal (German Cup).

Dortmund's supporters will keep him in good memory as he scored the winning goal in the dying seconds of the match at the Champions League quarterfinals against Malaga.

IANS

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Premier League: Liverpool's Jurgen Klopp says Frank Lampard has lot to learn after Chelsea boss' jibe
Sports

Premier League: Liverpool's Jurgen Klopp says Frank Lampard has lot to learn after Chelsea boss' jibe

Chelsea boss Frank Lampard was embroiled in a heated exchange with the Liverpool bench during their Premier League clash earlier this week.

Premier League: Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola seeks more consistency from team next season
Sports

Premier League: Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola seeks more consistency from team next season

Victory over Watford meant that Guardiola’s side have won four league games in a row for the first time this season and the Spaniard said his team had to be more consistent to challenge for the title in the 2020-21 campaign.

Premier League: Chelsea have 'a long way’ to go before they can be title contenders again, says Frank Lampard
Sports

Premier League: Chelsea have 'a long way’ to go before they can be title contenders again, says Frank Lampard

When asked how far Chelsea had to go to compete with Liverpool and second-placed Manchester City, Frank Lampard said: “A long way.