FIFA World Cup 2022: UAE, Kuwait and Oman 'happy' to meet requirements to host matches if event expands

The United Arab Emirates (UAE), Kuwait and Oman could stage some World Cup 2022 matches if required by hosts Qatar in order to hold an expanded event, the UAE’s sports chief said on Tuesday.

Reuters February 27, 2019 09:36:27 IST
FIFA World Cup 2022: UAE, Kuwait and Oman 'happy' to meet requirements to host matches if event expands
  • FIFA is expected to decide next month whether it will expand the World Cup in Qatar from 32 to 48 teams

  • The UAE, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and non-Gulf state Egypt cut political, trade, and transport ties with Qatar in June 2017

  • Qatar has said it will not take a decision on expanding the tournament until it sees the details of a feasibility study from FIFA.

Abu Dhabi: The United Arab Emirates, Kuwait and Oman could stage some World Cup 2022 matches if required by hosts Qatar in order to hold an expanded event, the UAE’s sports chief said on Tuesday.

FIFA World Cup 2022 UAE Kuwait and Oman happy to meet requirements to host matches if event expands

The FIFA World Cup trophy. AP

FIFA is expected to decide next month whether it will expand the World Cup in Qatar from 32 to 48 teams but has already warned it would be difficult for the Gulf Arab state to do it alone.

A deep political rift in the Gulf complicates the prospects of sharing the competition.

The UAE, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and non-Gulf state Egypt cut political, trade, and transport ties with Qatar in June 2017. The countries accuse Qatar of supporting terrorism, which it denies.

“If this is resolved, we are more than happy to help them organise the World Cup,” Chairman of the UAE General Sports Authority Mohammed Khalfan al-Romaithi said of the potential for the UAE to host some matches.

“But I know that if the crisis remains we cannot,” he told Reuters in an interview in Abu Dhabi.

He said the UAE, as well as Kuwait and Oman, can meet FIFA requirements to host World Cup matches. He also said those countries could hold games at smaller stadiums if permitted by FIFA.

Kuwait and Oman have remained neutral in the Gulf dispute.

Romaithi last month told Reuters the UAE would welcome an approach to co-host the 2022 World Cup if its rift with Qatar was resolved. He believes the UAE is capable of hosting matches for two groups.

Qatar has said it will not take a decision on expanding the tournament until it sees the details of a feasibility study from FIFA.

The UAE this year hosted the Asian Cup tournament, which was won by Qatar and who beat the host country 4-0 in the semi-final.

That match was marred by crowd trouble, with UAE fans throwing shoes and bottles at Qatar players.

Romaithi said those scenes were not representative of Emirati fans and that he had apologised to Qatar FA officials.

Romaithi is challenging Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim al-Khalifa, a member of Bahrain’s ruling family, for the presidency of the Asian Football Confederation in April.

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Premier League: Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho insists there was 'nothing Spursy' about his team's draw against West Ham
Sports

Premier League: Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho insists there was 'nothing Spursy' about his team's draw against West Ham

Spurs squandered a 3-0 lead in the final 10 with the Hammers on Sunday. That led some observers to say it had been a 'Spursy' display, a tag used to describe Tottenham's habit of contriving to make a mess of a promising position late on.

ISL: Mumbai City FC sign Nigerian striker Bartholomew Ogbeche on year-long loan deal
Sports

ISL: Mumbai City FC sign Nigerian striker Bartholomew Ogbeche on year-long loan deal

Ogbeche kicked off his youth career at Lobi Stars in Nigeria and was then signed by Paris Saint-Germain into their youth system before making his first team debut for the French giants in 2001-02 at just 17.

CAS hears former FIFA official Marco Polo del Nero's appeal against life ban from football on charges of bribery
Sports

CAS hears former FIFA official Marco Polo del Nero's appeal against life ban from football on charges of bribery

Del Nero was indicted by United States federal prosecutors in November 2015 on financial conspiracy charges and risks arrest if he leaves Brazil. He has avoided extradition.