FIFA U-17 World Cup tournament director Javier Ceppi says 'rat' comments did not refer to showpiece event

At an event in New Delhi on Wednesday, Javier Ceppi had rued the Indian system and said 'there were events where players are changing next to rats'.

PTI January 24, 2018 21:13:18 IST
FIFA U-17 World Cup tournament director Javier Ceppi says 'rat' comments did not refer to showpiece event

New Delhi: FIFA Under-17 World Cup tournament director Javier Ceppi on Wednesday clarified that he never referred to the showpiece event India hosted last year while commenting that he witnessed "players changing at dressing rooms next to rats".

FIFA U17 World Cup tournament director Javier Ceppi says rat comments did not refer to showpiece event

File image Javier Ceppi (R). AFP

At an event in New Delhi on Tuesday, he had rued the Indian system and said "there were events where players are changing next to rats".

Ceppi said he was referring to some other tournaments while making the comment and not the FIFA U-17 World Cup which the country hosted from 6-28 October last year across six cities.

"I was not referring to the U-17 World Cup when talking about rats in the dressing rooms.

I was referring to the situations I have seen in other events in India," Ceppi said in a statement to PTI.

As tournament director, Chilean Ceppi played a big role in India hosting a successful U-17 World Cup which went into record books in terms of number of spectators who turned up to watch the matches as well as the number of goals scored on the field.

Updated Date:

also read

EA Sports, FIFA end two-decade partnership, both eye new video games
Sports

EA Sports, FIFA end two-decade partnership, both eye new video games

Licensing rights for the game earn FIFA about $150 million annually — the single biggest commercial earner in its expected $7 billion total revenue from 2019-2022

FIFA World Cup 2022: Chile files legal challenge over Ecuador's place in tournament
Sports

FIFA World Cup 2022: Chile files legal challenge over Ecuador's place in tournament

A World Cup legal dispute flared Thursday with Chile challenging Ecuador’s place at the finals tournament over an alleged ineligible player.

FIFA confirms abandoned World Cup qualifier between Brazil, Argentina will be replayed
Sports

FIFA confirms abandoned World Cup qualifier between Brazil, Argentina will be replayed

The World Cup qualifier between the two South American giants that was originally supposed to take place at Sao Paulo on 5 September was abandoned after Brazilian health officials stormed into the pitch seven minutes into the game