FIFA U-17 World Cup 2017: Tournament Director satisfied with progress made at Kochi Stadium

The FIFA U-17 World Cup will be played between October 6 and October 28 later this year.

PTI June 27, 2017 19:28:07 IST
FIFA U-17 World Cup 2017: Tournament Director satisfied with progress made at Kochi Stadium

Kochi: A FIFA official today expressed satisfaction over the progress made at Jawaharlal Nehru International Stadium and four training grounds for hosting the FIFA U-17 World Cup tournament.

Describing the progress of preparations at the host of one of the quarter-finals of the FIFA U-17 World Cup, Tournament Director of the Local Organising Committee, Javier Ceppi said Kochi has really picked up the pace of the renovations after the 'big scare' in March (over delays).

FIFA U17 World Cup 2017 Tournament Director satisfied with progress made at Kochi Stadium

The Jawaharlal Nehru International stadium. Image Courtesy: FIFA U-17 World Cup

Earlier, the Jawaharlal Nehru International Stadium was declared fit for hosting the prestigious FIFA U-17 World Cup.

The stadium, which boasts of a capacity of 60,000 people, will, however, accommodate a maximum of 41,748 persons for the tournament considering the safety and security of spectators.

"With one hundred days to go, things seem to be under control and the renovations are going as planned," he said in a release.

He said the fans too have started to show more interest and are responding to the World Cup by getting their tickets early.

"We hope to have a full stadium in Kochi," Ceppi said.

The four training sites that teams participating at the venue will practice include Parade Ground, Fort Kochi Veli Football Ground, Maharajas College Ground and Sports Academy, Panampilly Ground.

The FIFA U-17 World Cup will be played between October 6 and October 28 later this year.

It was in October last year that Kochi was officially declared as one of the venues for hosting the FIFA U-17 World Cup by a high-level delegation of football's world body.

Updated Date:

also read

LaLiga post losses of €892 million for pandemic-hit 2020/21 season
Sports

LaLiga post losses of €892 million for pandemic-hit 2020/21 season

LaLiga have suffered losses for the first time since 2012 but the league expects to recover completely in the next two seasons.

Serie A: Napoli beat Torino to consolidate third spot in Italian league
Sports

Serie A: Napoli beat Torino to consolidate third spot in Italian league

Napoli took advantage of fourth-placed Juventus's shock 2-1 loss at Genoa to move four points ahead with two matches left to play.

LaLiga: Jordi Alba strikes late as Barcelona secure top-four spot with Real Betis win
Sports

LaLiga: Jordi Alba strikes late as Barcelona secure top-four spot with Real Betis win

Jordi Alba's stinging injury-time volley snatched a 2-1 victory for Barcelona at the Benito Villamarin to ensure they will play in the Champions League next term