Fernando Alonso agrees deal to compete at Daytona 24-Hours race in January
Fernando Alonso, who last week agreed a new contract with McLaren, said: “The Daytona 24 Hours is the most iconic US endurance race and one of the world's great races.'
Mexico City: Two-time Formula One world champion Fernando Alonso on Thursday confirmed he will take part in the Daytona 24-Hours race in January.
The McLaren Honda driver, who took part in the iconic Indianapolis 500 this year, will race with the United Autosports LMP2 team, driving a Ligier JSP217 car.
Alonso, who last week agreed a new contract with McLaren, said: “The Daytona 24 Hours is the most iconic US endurance race and one of the world's great races.
“It's not part of the Triple Crown (of the Monaco Grand Prix, Indy 500 and Le Mans victories) but, as I have always said, my aim is to be a complete driver -- and this experience will help me in the preparation for any other endurance race I might take part in.
“Before I went to Indy, I had never driven on an oval and now I know what an oval is and how to deal with it. I am excited to go back and race in America.
“After the great time I had during the month of May, for the Indy 500, I am looking forward to taking part in another legendary race that will bring back all those amazing sensations that US fans gave me.”
Bottas finished the 18-lap dash 2.325 seconds ahead of Verstappen but will start at the back of the grid on Sunday as he is going to take a new power unit and will receive a penalty for doing so.
The 23-year-old British driver earned his much-anticipated move to the Silver Arrows after three campaigns with Williams.
Bottas’ final flying lap saw him beat Hamilton by .096 seconds in a qualifying session that set the grid for Formula One's second-ever sprint, which will determine the starting lineup for Sunday’s main race.