FA Cup: Sheffield Wednesday hold Swansea City to goalless draw on former manager Carlos Carvalhal's return

Sheffield Wednesday and Swansea City will meet again for the chance to reach the FA Cup quarter-finals after an insipid 5th round tie at Hillsborough ended goalless on Saturday.

AFP February 17, 2018 20:39:07 IST
FA Cup: Sheffield Wednesday hold Swansea City to goalless draw on former manager Carlos Carvalhal's return

London: Sheffield Wednesday and Swansea City will meet again for the chance to reach the FA Cup quarter-finals after an insipid 5th round tie at Hillsborough ended goalless on Saturday.

FA Cup Sheffield Wednesday hold Swansea City to goalless draw on former manager Carlos Carvalhals return

Swansea City were forced into a replay after Sheffield Wednesday held them to a 0-0 draw in the FA Cup 5th round tie. Twitter/@SwansOfficial

On his return to the club that sacked him after two-and-a-half years on Christmas Eve, Swansea boss Carlos Carvalhal showed his priorities lie elsewhere in keeping the Swans in the Premier League by making six changes.

The Welsh side are now 10 games unbeaten in all competitions as Carvalhal has inspired a remarkable revival, but the visitors suffered a double injury blow as centre-back Alfie Mawson pulled up in the warm-up, whilst striker Tammy Abraham limped off 23 minutes from time.

Wednesday's best chance to spring an upset came inside the first two minutes when Adam Reach's effort was parried by Swans goalkeeper Kristoffer Nordfeldt.

The visitors offered little as an attacking threat, but home keeper Cameron Dawson was forced into one outstanding save from Mike van der Hoorn's powerful header just before half-time.

Both sides will join Chelsea and Leicester City in the hat for the quarter-final draw later on Saturday.

Updated Date:

also read

Steve Bruce says he’ll fight to keep Newcastle United job as talk swirls of him being sacked post-takeover
Sports

Steve Bruce says he’ll fight to keep Newcastle United job as talk swirls of him being sacked post-takeover

Bruce was reportedly set for the sack following last week's £305 million ($419 million) takeover of the Premier League strugglers by a Saudi-led consortium, though he has since been granted a stay of execution.

Premier League: Newcastle United confirm Steve Bruce will be in charge against Tottenham Hotspur
Sports

Premier League: Newcastle United confirm Steve Bruce will be in charge against Tottenham Hotspur

Bruce, who is set to appear in his 1,000th game as manager, been granted a stay of execution after new Newcastle director Amanda Staveley announced on Friday there would be no immediate decision on his future.